Spyware/adware detection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fict0n, Jul 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fict0n

fict0n Registered Member

I downloaded PrecisionTimeSetup.exe by Claria to see if NOD32 would detect anything.

I was disappointed to find, once again, that NOD32 did either not scan within the exe or it is not on the detection listing. I've found that NOD32 has a much better real-time agent than its on-demand scanner. Most of the viruses I download have been scanned and been deemed safe, and then are detected upon execution.

Is this intentional as apart of one the program's goals, or is this intended to be fixed? I would really like a feature that perhaps created a "fake execution" that did no harm, and then did the real-time. I know that one of the perks of NOD32 is its incredibly fast scan-time, but is that worthwhile at the cost of detection?

Because I really don't like the idea of malware being detected after it is released upon my system.

Also: not to boast, but I also scanned the same file with KAV and it detected it as Gator Adware.

2. pamelajoy

pamelajoy Registered Member

IMHO, it isn't worth it. If you put your trust in something that isn't doing the job, really it's worse than no protection (since you are less likely to be extra careful, thinking you are protected).

I use Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D. Could you tell me more about the programs you are using? I am not familiar with NOD32 or KAV.

3. fosius

fosius Registered Member

NOD32 on-demand scanner offers the same level of protection, it is truth that on-demand scanner doesn't support so much archives. Because of this is very important to enable AMON because it scans every single file being executed or extracted from not supported archive:)

4. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Hi pamelajoy....NOD and KAV are highly rated and well respected anti-virus programs. Anti-virus apps operate differently from anti-spyware programs like Spybot and Ad-Aware, since their focus is more on viruses, worms, etc. NOD even has their own forum here at Wilders....located just a little above this one that you posted in. You can find some good information about it there.

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

For more on KAV, just enter that phrase in a search here and about a gazillion threads should appear. ;) :D

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.