Spysweeper and Online Armor

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mongol, Dec 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I have 512MB RAM which, while not massive, is plenty to run XP and the various apps I choose to run, so I don't think a lack of RAM is the problem.

I will install the latest version of OA and let you know if my system still feels sluggish. If it does, I will take you up on your offer.

Like I said, your support is second to none!

BTW, would I be correct in thinking that the whole of OA is coded in C# and so uses the .NET library ?

... or are speed critical parts coded in ASM/C/C++ ?

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

512MB is plenty for XP, unless you're doing intensive graphics work in Photoshop or doing software development in which case your sanity will be directly proportional to the amount of RAM in the machine.

Thanks :) But really, it's common sense. You like OA, but it slows your system. I don't have that problem, and I would like it fixed. Seems like a fair exchange to me.

No, it's written in Delphi which compiles almost as fast as C++, but is a lot "nicer" to work with, easier to debug. Our new kernel mode stuff is written in C (or C++ can't recall, I've not looked at it yet) as is the upcoming OA toolbar simply because of the smaller file size that it's possible to obtain (and in the case of the driver - because that's the way the Driver Development kit likes it).

I've written code in C# before and actually quite like it. I just don't like the .NET framework which needs to be downloaded. Funnily enough, I don't have the same prejudice against Java...

3. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

After a smooth eight or nine day run I went and treated myself to an Online Armor license. My gift to me for the holidays...:D

4. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Impeccable taste. ;)

5. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Came across mention of OA here yesterday, and d'l trial ver. of it (as I'm getting rapidly fed up with Webroot's SS).

Seems to me that, offhand, OA is a bit like ProcessGuard - is that more or less correct? Was going to maybe buy PG as DrWeb AV was fixed, I guess, so that it doesn't clash with PG any longer; but, I also wondered about OA - as I seem to read quite the high praise of it here. If one has OA, would you even need PG? {That's not an "us vs them" query, as I most certainly have numerous apps that are similar in their approach to security, so I'm not adverse to having more than one app that is "like" something else}.

Your thoughts on the matter appreciated, as always,
    SG1 (pat)

6. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi SG1,

OA has a bit more to it than Process Guard.

Aside from Execution protection, it has mail and web protection, phishing filters, dns checking, HOSTS protection, anti-keylogger, startup and embedded IE objects filtering.

The idea is that if you're surfing, for example, you can get a warning about embedded objects in webpages. Allow them anyway? Well, you'll get a warning if they try to run, set themself as startup, install as a browser extension, etc.

And, if you accidentally allow something to run - it can be rolled back by OA (created files and registry entries).

Hope that helps.

Mike

7. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi Defenestration,

How did you go ?

Mike

8. Defenestration

Hi Mike,

Been a bit busy the last few days. I will install it right now and get back to you.

9. Defenestration

Mike,

Just installed it using the trial licence key given on the download page (ie. "f43a09e707c8a36160eca62ff6cbbb89"), but OA came back with Service registration error. Activation key is expired.

10. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I'll PM/Mail you a new key?

Mike

11. Defenestration

Thanks Mike. Got it.

12. SG1

SG1 Registered Member

Mike;

Nice of you to drop by, and reply to my query - thanks.

Opinions-queries thus far of trial with OA; and these are just thoughts in passing. I may have missed something, or didn't understand all involved at the time - as I'm most certainly not a programmer, and never could be.
    ==============================
    a) Seems app, at install completion, wanted to "check" something online immed., re lic. or key if I recall. Well, we're always warned to have everything off, as far as possible, when installing an app. - so of course, one's not online at the time of installing. I have seen apps that let you "register" offline, by just popping in the key or lic. # into a dialog box, even when just for a trial of said app.

b) After installing the app, I rebooted, got online and went through the process needed, and one gets to "clicking Finish" time and then boom, a restart occurs - while I had many security apps on, and was online at the time, of course.

Well, unless I missed something there, how about a question of IF one wants to shut down apps and get off line first, before the Finish button zooms one off to immed. reboot. Not sure, but I think a "rude" immed. restart like that with apps open, and modem fired up, can lead to bit of a mess, can't it?

c) Seems that OA didn't "know" many of the major name brand security apps - and I think I gave OA permission to allow them, incl. a help file(?) of JavaCool's Spywareguard - but it asked again at startup, if I wished to allow or not allow something therein - and I hoped I picked the right choice, as I do want his apps running too, while online.

d) With HOSTS file, it showed entries that had permission to run. As almost all those entries come from Spybot (or perhaps one of Javacool's apps), I do want to leave the Yes - permissions set to Yes for those - to be allowed?

==========================

Now, having said that or asked about "how-to," with OA, I must say your program seems to be a real winner and a keeper (and I will likely buy it shortly). Keep up the great work. ;-) I'm rapidly coming over to your camp, I think, & would be happy to drop that wretched kludge, SpySweeper.

*** BTW - are OA and DCS' PG similar, in that they may clash if both running at same time on a PC - you know? *** Just wondering, as I'm one to run many similar apps.

Best, SG1 (Pat)

13. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

Straying off topic briefly, I have Process Guard and Online Armor both running here. There is no clash at all. I can do a tiny bit more fine tuning with Process Guard but I am really wondering myself if its worth having them both. Especially with Online Armor version 2 coming in the next few months. I've heard rumors that it will make tools like Process Guard unnecessary...:eek: :D

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
  14. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Yeah, people hate the online activation inside Online armor. So much so that we've decided to get rid of it (or, at least, significantly de-fang it) in the 2.0 version.

Yikes! There's a checkbox there that gives you the option :( Maybe I need to make it bigger, or change button positions...

In my experience, the worst that a restart can do is cause you to lose unsaved data in programs if windows tries to terminate them and you have something like a save dialog on the screen.

OK, Now is probably as good a time as any to let this out of the bag :))

In Online Armor, there's a trusted app list - and you're right, it doesn't recognise certain programs. The reason for this is that I have not really updated this list in about 2 months or so (the list is not critical, so protection is not impacted). The reason why this list has not been updated in so long will become clear in a few days... watch and wait :)

Yes, thats right. HOSTS in OA is horrid. Everyone else has said it, and so I guess I can too. If you have a look over at our forums, or around here you'll see how it was designed to work - and how it's actually turned out in the wild. It's getting a revamp in version 2

==========================
    :D Great. Just wait till you see what's coming in the (Free upgrade) to version 2 !

Similar, but don't clash. Some users run OA alongside many different security apps. We try and play nice.

15. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

I think I have said before that my Goal with Online Armor is to make it the only security application that needs to be run.

Now, before all of the defense in depth and redundancy guys get upset with me here, and run to get the guys who hate "Security Suites" let me explain.

Yes, with Online Armor 2.x you will have a firewall. No, you will not need other protection apps, such as Processguard. But, you will still be able to run them, and you will still be able to disable the parts of OA that you don't like.

Think PG's execution protection is better than OA's ? Disable it in OA and install PG instead. Prefer Tiny Firewall to OA's firewall? Well, turn off your computer and seek medical help. Really. Online Armor is the least of your problems.

My objective is simple. If you plan to buy just *one* security program (instead of 6 or 7) then it should give wide-ranging coverage, be easy to use and affordable. I want that program to be Online Armor.

We'll be aiming for best-of-class in each feature that we implement.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.