SpyShelter x64 question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Melf, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I am trialling SpyShelter on Win 7 x64. I have noticed 2 very obvious false positives within about 2 minutes of use:

1) It says that MS Excel is trying to record keystrokes. When I type in Excel. I don't want to click deny because I want it to protect me when some macro tries to log keystrokes in programs other than Excel. Anyway, I try clicking deny just to see what happens. The keys are still typed in. o_O

2) It says that Adobe PDF is trying to record keystrokes. This happens when I have a PDF open and then click the SpyShelter GUI (but not when I click other windows e.g. Chrome or Excel).

What is going on with this thing? I only want it to stop programs from logging each other's keystrokes, not their own. The only anti-keylogger I have experience with is DefenseWall, which was much less chatty but still passed all keylog tests.

2. kupo

kupo Registered Member

If you want a non-chatty anti-keylogger then you should be using Keyscrambler, although it just offer keylogger protection

3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Spyshelter does have whitelist to auto allow depending on what settings you have in security tab.Even after auto allowing excel ,you may still get popups unless you make it trusted by clicking details on the popup

4. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Well, I don't want to auto-allow Excel, because then I can be keylogged by some macro.

5. ellison64

security tab>ask user

6. Melf

Melf Registered Member

Well, then I will get asked every time I boot up Excel (and Word - I get 3 popups for Word!).

But it gets worse. I am having trouble even making Spyshelter protect against keylogging macros in Excel, see here.

So basically I am getting only false positives and no true positives for Excel when using Spyshelter.

7. ellison64

Im not proficient enough in excel or macros to help or suggest further .Have you tried any other stand alone anti keyloggers ,or ones that are part of security suites to see how they fare? .Can you also try on 32bit system..does this make a difference/?

8. Melf

Melf Registered Member

I would love to test both these issues (false positives vs actually defending against scripts) on 32-bit, specifically vs DefenseWall, but I don't have a 32-bit installation anymore. Maybe someone else can test?

I'll try a properly configured SBIE and a Zemana trial and see what results are like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.