SpyShelter v5 Released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by whitedragon551, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I have Avast Free On Demand. So far no issues.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Thanks for information!

With v4.56 and earlier the issue was not so bad. But with v5.01, it is really bad.

I have to constantly "disable protection" while copying/pasting etc.

Kind regards,

KOR!

3. whitedragon551

Copy and paste works fine for me. Have you tried uninstalling it, discarding the settings, rebooting, and reinstalling?

4. aladdin

Thanks,

Done everything I know. Even when I installed v5.01, I deleted SpyShelter and reinstalled it as you suggested above.

Since blasev had the same problem and other members on this forum have discussed it earlier, I believe SpyShelter is the culprit. But it appears that other program on my system conflicts with it.

Best regards,

KOR!

Copy/Paste works fine, but the Ctrl or Shift key with highlighting or Ctrl V doesn't work.

5. blasev

blasev Registered Member

Yes I understand how u feel, since ctrl and shift is a must when selecting files.
    Another way around is to disable one of the protection module. And see which one is causing the conflict.

6. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I tried SS with the latest free version and after a brief review, I found the following problems on an XP SP3 system:

Crash on boot after deleting all SS rules and doing a system restart. Happens when system protection is enabled, otherwise not.

Cannot uncheck anything from 'list of monitored actions' via Settings. A Message implies that unchecking is only for premium. I understand that some of the protection modules only pertain to the premium components, but why are all protection modules checked in the list and why can't anything be unchecked?

Al

7. whitedragon551

Hmm. Consider emailing Spyshelter at support@spyshelter.com

From previous experience they are very fast with customer service bugs and requests.

The issues I was having were researched and found to be directly related to the x64 version only. I can uncheck the lists in my version. Not sure if you have a corrupt install or it may possibly be because you are using the free version.

When I did have issues Spyshelter recommended an uninstall, reboot, redownload, and a reinstall and that fixed my issues.

8. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I always love it when support makes those kind of recommendations. I sent them a dump to give them something to do :D

Al

9. whitedragon551

I encountered a weird bug. On reboot I had a splash screen. Issue is the program doesnt have a splash screen so we had no clue how it got there. Reinstalling fixed it.

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am using Prevx as my antivirus, not AIS. Even so, permit me to make a few comments on this matter.

AIS includes a behavior blocker-type component -- a specialized type of HIPS. The Protection module of SS is fundamentally a broad-scope HIPS.

HIPS almost always have waaay more hooks than is the case for other types of security apps. Thus, running 2 HIPS can easily cause conflicts & instability. For WinXP, as an example, SS inserts upwards of 20 hooks -- many more than even Malware Defender!!

BOTTOM LINE: I liked SS better when it was just an anti-keylogger. Now that it has branched into the realm of a HIPS, SS has become a pest. The HIPS component of SS is neither as strong nor as configurable as the HIPS components of OA, OP, or PFW -- and cannot even hold a candle to Malware Defender. Ergo, I am using Prevx-SOL as my anti-keylogger more & more, & SS less & less. If SS continues to add more hooks I will regretfully be forced to uninstall it.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  11. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I'm beginning to feel the same way. All I want is a decent anti-keylogger nothing else. According to RootRepeal, the current free SS has 35 entries in the SSDT. Nothing gets unhooked after disabling system protection and rebooting. Maybe all those hooks are needed to do a decent job of anti-keylogging - I have no idea and will leave that to the experts to explain :)

Al

12. aladdin

Dear Bellgamin,

Thank you for the information. I singed up on this forum a long time ago, but been only active lately. I am still in a learning mode and will remain as such for a long time.

I love SS and their lifetime license. But you are right that it is very heavy. Right now, I have uninstalled it from my computer, and might install it later as it conflicts with some of the programs I have. Hopefully, they will get their act together for such a fine program.

Yesterday, I got four free Zemana Anti-logger and they are all working perfectly on all my four PCs with Windows x64.

If interested do a search on Google, on Facebook + Zemana. The page is in Turkish. Then do a search on this forum for Zemana for the instructions, on how to get the key in Turkish Language.

Kind regards,

KOR!

13. whitedragon551

For those of you who have used Zemana and Spyshelter x64 would you mind commenting here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=288679

I obviously use the x64 counterpart due to my OS choice. I assume the hooks in the x64 version are going to be fewer and far between due to KPP. For me Spyshelter is extremely light and weighs in less than 20Mbs every time I check it.

14. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When I run SS, it is light for me, too -- where lightness counts (cpu & I/O). For me, 20MB memory usage isn't significant (my computer has memory out the ying-yang) -- your mileage may differ.

But (a) an app's lightness, VS (b) the proclivity of an app to cause conflicts/instability -- those are 2 different issues. SS is light, yes, but it needs to cool it with the hooks so other apps have some room to play in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.