SpyShelter Personal Free any good?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TheMozart, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I have Zemana Antilogger installed, version 1.9.2.515 which I got for free, but it only has 1 year license.

Is this as good? It's FREE so it won't expire as Zemana Antilogger will.

But I am confused, according to their website, the free don't have webcam protection, but according to softpedia it does. Which is true?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Security-Related/SpyShelter-Personal-Free.shtml

Can I run both at the same time? Doesn't hurt to get a Doctors second opinion does it?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

I used SpyShelter Personal Free for quite a while and liked it very much.
    I would have kept it but it did not harmonise with my Sandboxie, so I had to reluctantly get rid of it.

Sandboxie is paramount with me, I always use it to logon to the Internet via Firefox. Anything that cannot get on with Sandboxie has to go.

But I really was impressed with SS. Running both at the same time ? I would not think that is advisable and almost certainly not necessary. Our other Wizards will comment on that better than I can.

John

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Did your free version have webcam protection? According to their website the FREE doesn't, but on softpedia it says it does! Which is right?

And I use Sandboxie too, but how does SS interfer with SS?

4. Eru

Eru Registered Member

It hasn't the WebCam Protection - but is it so important for you?

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I'd believe the one on the official website.
    no conflicts between sandboxie and spyshelter. :thumb:

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Do you find it wise to run TWO Anti-KeyLoggers at the SAME time? o_O
    -Do you also run two Firewalls, AVs etc. at the same time? o_O

7. moontan

moontan Registered Member

if it ain't broken, it's because you haven't tweaked it enough. ;)

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

If it is broken, it's because you have tweaked it too much :D

9. John Bull

No webcam on the one I had as far as I know.

Sandboxie ? Well, all I can say is that it did hiccup about. Once I deleted SS, I had no more problems. But I will say again, I really liked SS, so if it works OK then keep it. I was very impressed with it, but like I said Sandboxie is sacred with me and if any lodger don`t get on with it, then out goes the lodger.

It is some time ago since I had SS and I cannot remember precisely what the problem was, I do know that it was a big pain at the time. My memory seems to keep coming up with frozen screens.

Perhaps it was not Sandboxie that SS was fighting with and it was some other program I have. I am running sweetly now, so as I said, if SS works OK for you, then keep it because I personally think it is a great program that has the edge over most others of it`s kind.

John

Last edited: Jul 31, 2011
  10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if it is brocken it is because it not properlly tweak;) :D

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Of course like so many other possible programs you can use, 64bit isn't supported in the free version :thumbd: Time to stop screwing 64bit users, imho.

12. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Why so? They're helping me as a 64-bit user by providing an excellent 64-bit version of the software.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Because there are a lot of 64bit users out there they may be alienating by not having 64bit support in the free version? Free isn't a curse word, customers are customers. Comodo does it, Online Armor does it, Sandboxie does it (and it's ran by one man who likely makes very little off of the program). Telling a potential customer to "use something else", isn't going to do a lot of good for your company.

14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I wonder if that's the final verdict. :D

15. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes I do. It never hurts to get a second Doctors opinion.

16. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I think Mr.PC's point/concern is the fact that running two or more of the same type of security apps in realtime has a high risk of possible conflict.
    Which would probably make both realtime apps basically worthless.
    I would suggest running only one anti-logger in realtime and maybe having a scanner that is good at detecting loggers as your second opinion.

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Ok, so let's start here;

Online Armor does not deliver maximum protection in free version.
    Sandboxie free edition offers very few features compared to paid version.
    Comodo does however offer you a pretty sweet deal, but, its keylogger protection is utter garbage.

Paying 25 euro for a life-time license with free updates and to top things off, with Spyshelter you can install it on ALL your computers at home (that means like 10+ computers). Why would I as a developer offer my software for free? Where does that put the food on the table? I believe we're just going to go around in circles debating this topic as we're obviously having different opinions about how the market works. :)

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Can you list the flaws and faults on the COMODO keylogger protection? Provide evidence please and test results.

Do you have a youtube video exposing the COMODO keylogger protection failure?

Have you contacted COMODO about your findings with the keylogger protection and what did COMODO say about it?

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

No we won't, you make a very good point. I'm certainly not against people being able to live :) I'm just saying if you're going to offer a free version at all, don't alienate one section of people over another. Not supporting an old OS, I completely get, not supporting 64 but supporting 32 in your free version, I don't. It's not about how cheap or expensive the product is, it's leaving out a lot of users of a current OS.

I also have to disagree with your comment on Sandboxie. If you pay, you get exactly two more features. 1. Forced programs. 2. Running more than one sandbox at a time. I'd have a hard time saying Sandboxie free has "very few features". Both disadvantages can be overcome, though admittedly the one sand box at a time limit is a PITA.

20. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I believe the reason being that the implementation of SS x64 version was not complete at the time. It still is not complete. When I bought the SS about a year ago, only 5 or 6 modules out of 9 were working at that time. Today 8 out of 9 modules are working.

The Zemana didn't have the x64 version until recently. SS prides itself for being the first anti-logger working on x64 version.

They gave away free the x32 version, when in market most the operating systems were x32 bits, and they are still giving it away free today.

The x64 version was not fully developed and they wanted to provide support for the paid version and giving them lifetime license. There are people who have purchased one year license of SS for very cheap, just like the Sandboxie one year license versus lifetime license.

Best regards,

KOR!

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

It is Not just getting a 2nd Doctors' Opinion.
    It is getting a 2nd Doctors' Medication.

Running two (2) Real-Time Apps offers No significant Additional Security,
    whereas, you are asking for Conflicts, Slow-Downs etc.

It is your decision, however, and you can use
    as many AntiKeyloggers as you like...

23. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I am going to use only Zemana as I still have 359 days left on the license.

24. John Bull

My dear Wolfgang Amadeus,

The final choice is yours, but the comments and advice given by all the posters here is probably the best you can get anywhere.

Get two Doctors opinions you say ? Well yes by all means, but you don`t sit these two Doctors in the same room and get it. That way all you get is conflict, just like our posters have said. You see each Doctor separately and likewise you run each of these similar security programs separately.

I have had experience with these posters and they are energetic, frequent posters, go to great lengths to help and they are VERY experienced and knowledgeable.

I have dodged about Forum`s all over the net, some good, some bad and some argumentative and insulting at the drop of a wrong word.

WILDERS is by far the best Forum on the web, there are over 113,000 members and over 9,000 of these are active and consist of many very notable characters in the PC world and many, many others with an extreme level of knowledge and competence. It is not just a chat show at Wilders, it is an Encyclopedia.

l myself have learnt an immense amount from Wilders over the years - had my arguments, but who `aint ?

My advice ? Read what they say, ask your questions, query and reply logically to posts but MOST OF ALL don`t just read or skip their advice - DO IT !

John

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  25. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

And that's why I decided to only use Zemana, and after the 1 year license expires, then I will go over to using the free SpyShelter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.