SpyShelter 12

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

@benllgami
    What happen to SpyShelter Firewall exactly:)?
    because on softpedia .com 12.9 is still there.
    I am confuse..... can you help straighten things out.:)?

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DataPol (the producer of SpyShelter) has DISCONTINUED development of its SpyShelter firewall. DataPol has a small staff so they want to concentrate their efforts OTHER than the firewall.

The SS firewall at softpedia will still work but it is no longer supported.

I recommend you select a firewall that IS still being supported and updated. Visit Wilders "Other Firewalls" forum -- you can read up on firewalls there. OR --- better yet -- you could post your own thread, describe what kind of firewall you want, and ask for suggestions.

I wish you much aloha and *good fortune* in finding just the best firewall for your needs.

3. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

as a recent "ex" spyshelter firewall customer... im so far liking portmaster (a lot) its still in alpha (v1.0 is due anyday) https://safing.io/

whilst i loved the hips/features of SSF.. the one thing that annoyed me with spyshleter is it forced core isolation off...

Portmaster, is not in anyway a hips/firewall like SSF.. but more a privacy/Url/App Blocker, but works with Core isolation on, and best of all its FOSS

4. bellgamin

"Alpha" status is a very early development stage & might be buggy. I would wait for the post-beta (release) version before trying this or any other app.

5. kC_

kC_ Registered Member

obviously which is why is why the software is labelled as such

6. bellgamin

I understand that and meant NO criticism of your comment whatsoever. Some folks *might* not know the significance of alpha status, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

I apologize for the poor wording of my comment #329.

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

FYI new version 14 is out :)

No change log so far

upload_2022-10-21_5-19-10.png

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Is it fake version? No info about it on SS page.
    Where did you find install pack?

9. henryg

henryg Registered Member

Have you tried running this with Core Isolation enabled? Not sure if you've updated this from within the app.... because as @ichito has noted, SS is still showing 12.9 as the latest version.

10. Space Ghost

@ichito @henryg You can check it out here: https://www.spyshelter.com/download/release/premiumsetup.exe :thumb:

11. henryg

henryg Registered Member

@Space Ghost ... Thank you. It is version 14.0.

So, SS (premium) jumps from v12.9 to v14.0....
    However, their new driver is still NOT compatible with Windows Core Isolation. (I just had it tested) Since there isn't any Change Log information, I wonder what exactly did they 'update'?

12. Space Ghost

From what I can see it now includes some features from the Firewall version. Rewriting the driver probably isn't that easy, if at all possible.

13. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Application execution control is new in v14.
    Was only in the firewall version, not sure what else has changed, still nothing from Datpol's site.
    Internal update thru the program shows no update available,12.9 as the latest.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2022
  14. Space Ghost

In the new version we also have some monitored actions (50, 52, 53) previously available only in the Firewall version.

upload_2022-10-21_23-9-2.png

15. bellgamin

@Space Ghost -- MANY thanks for the heads-up and link for version 14. Erin go bragh!!! :thumb:

16. Surt

Surt Registered Member

10/26/22 edit: Forgot to quote...
    Premium 14.0 as trial running on my Win10pro 21H2 test box.

No firewall named actions, but 50, 52 and 53 are new vs Premium 12.8.

SSP14-LoMA.jpg

Should get around to install on my production system later this week,,,

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
  17. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I totally forgot about Portmaster, but it looks too flashy. Will check it out, hopefully I can install it with the help of Sandboxie but I'm not counting on it.

18. co22

co22 Registered Member

50 should be in firewall version :)
    can easily make FW version when you input license for Premium version,Premium feature get activated

19. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Thanks. I forgot to post my #341 with a quote from #339 (fixed) where "Firewall" actions are listed in the Premium v14.0. Whereas, in mine they're "Internet Security." Enigmatic, eh?

I ran a Firewall trial for its 14 days quite a while back and that's it. My familiarity with it is otherwise nada.

Anyhow, in case you missed it, SpyShelter Firewall has been discontinued.

20. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Just for grins, here are the monitored action diffs between Premium v12.8 and v14.0. (It wasn't until the other day that I knew of v12.9, released just nine days after that of v12.8. Because "application crash at start on some systems" which I didn't experience. So, that's why v12.8 and not v12.9.)

So far, no issues with v14.0 on my Win10pro21H2 test system. But I'm not particularly wild about #53 which is popping up for some apps I've been using for decades, which is not to say that it shouldn't be doing that when enabled.

Hope they get around to posting up a v14.0 changelog soon. Unless we're waiting on... v14.1! :eek:

Composite screenshot via Greenshot v1.2.9 b129 64-bit and GIMP v2.10.20.0.

SpyShelterPremium-12vs14-MonitoredActions.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2022
  21. Rasheed187

Too bad that you didn't sort the list by Comment. Seems like they removed #48 which is outgoing network access, a bit weird. And is the network monitor still present? If not, then SS Premium has become a lot less interesting to me. And you can turn #53 off if you don't care for app execution monitoring.

22. bellgamin

My firewall monitors outgoing network access. Why would I want SS to do the same thing?

23. Rasheed187

I'm not using the firewall in SS either, but an anti-logger should be offering this feature IMO. And for some reason they did add the ''access network via DNS Resolver'' monitor which is a pointless feature, but will also alert when apps are trying to connect out. But anyway, if they have removed the network monitor which was found on the firewall tab, then SS Premium is not interesting to me anymore.

24. henryg

henryg Registered Member

@Rasheed187

I totally agree.
    However, I'm also curious to see what they're planning with the following statement: "be on the lookout for major new updates from us early next year".

25. bellgamin

You are curious. I am hopeful.

I find it's sad to see so many unsupported rumors and negative opinions being circulated about SS at the very time the SS folks are trying to work their way through a very difficult situation in their part of the world. SS is a small business, not some big corporation.

I fervently hope that the SS proponents are truly successful in getting SS squared away, despite severe energy shortages this winter, and despite the on-going MAJOR war in a neighboring nation, right next door to where they live and work and have their being.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.