Spying on the spyware makers [Ben Edelman]

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by ronjor, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

i really wonder why he seemed so terrified of talking about WhenU, is this the company that both Adaware and Spyware Eliminator decided to take off there signitures.

If so what is it about this company, i have had this on my machine in the past and it definitely isnt something nice?

I would love to hear poeples opinions of why all the spyware combating firms seem to like WhenU, backhanders possibly??

3. controler

controler Guest

Ahhh he appears to be another VMWear User.
    I tried installing it on one PC but got errors. Maybe I should try again.
    I know it costs about twice as much as Shadowuser but I wonder if it is that much better?
    Since signing up for the trial I have however received ads for discounts as high as 30 %.

Bruce

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Hi Bruce, having VmWare or using ShadowUser are two different kind of things. VmWare let's you create environments of different Operating Systems...so you can utilize on the same moment xp, 2000, linux or two sets of xp pro...the problem is to separate them so if you get infected, you won't infect all your os'es...major pain in the ass at the moment :)

I am using VmWare and Raxco ISR on 1 environment and it works out very nice...but you definately need big harddrive cause of all the installs :cool:

5. controler

controler Guest

Hi & Thanks

I am all new to this whole Vmwear thing & can't decide which way to go.
    What I want to do is use either with RAMDisk. I am trying out both now ans so far no problems. It isn't feasiable to use their RAMDrive which is 4 gig. That is something they charge $ 3000.00 for. Not something a home user would be able to do.
    Right now I am trying to figure out if installing Windows Xp on the RAMDisk is possiable or if installing Shadowuser on the RAMDisk would be the way to go.
    If others have been down this road before, I see no Forums on the issue.
    I do know that some use VMWear with RAMDrive for honeypots.
    The only thing I am using RAMDisk for at the moment, since it is my first day as a trial, is the internet cache. I am storing it on the RAMDisk. I save the IMG and the cache is there on reboot. Really speeds up browsing. Only downside is the program only works with IE at the present time.

I think starting a new Shadowuser thread would be benificial.
    They might spank us for hijacking this one LOL

I will say that Shadowuser does see & protect the G:/ RAMDisk area. In other words you can commit to it is just reboot and all added to the G:/ drive, that was not there before is gone.

Bruce

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2005
  6. Infinity

I don't know a thing about RAM Disks Bruce :( while it isn't the first thing I hear the word Ramdisk, I never tried it.

At the moment all microsoft versions doesn't support virtual os installs except if your licence permit...they are planning to change that due to 'VirtualPC" from m$ is getting more and more popular...so they have to find a way around that ;)

yes, the plan is to use VmWare as a honeypot but it has been more then two years since using it again...so it takes a while and in the meantime we just use a non-admin account :D

bye

7. controler

controler Guest

Infinity

check it out

http://www.cenatek.com/product_ramdisk.cfm

It is a breeze to setup. I don't know if you would want their RAMDrive at 3 grand
    But that is what they are using for honey pots now days.

Bruce

8. Infinity

Interesting program and apparantly it comes down to the same thing, while having some limits like fat32 and only 4gb...I wonder if it has the "directness" of VmWare...I need to try it first...now I think of it...shouldn't be an issue at all :)

Thanx Bruce

/edit: damn register protocols :D

Andy

9. controler

controler Guest

Infinity

NO it is not only fat 16 & 32 it is NTFS also

That is how mine is setup.

They don't include NTFS in the GUI but you just go to control panel,
    Adim Tools, computer managment, disk managment, right click on G:/
    & format as NTFS. :)
    I selected Basic. you can then makr it as active if you want.

Bruce

10. Infinity

I am still thinking on that registering...:D give me a day or so ;)

11. controler

controler Guest

Infinity/

Were you able to give it a try?

I have the install file if that is what you need ;-)
    it is about 10 meg.

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.