SpyCop updates

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Unclebobee, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unclebobee

Unclebobee Registered Member

"Finally, provide a link to the product's website where the full contents of the update can be reviewed and obtained."

I didn't see this on any of the posts that I looked at. Am I missing something?? Thanks. unclwbobee.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Re:SpyCop 9 June 2003

If you were talking about SpyCop:
    You're right. Until now I'm not aware of such a page at the SpyCop website.
    You could have a look here:
    http://spycop.com/faq.htm
    But you will not find there the complete list of detectable spyware.

Quote:
    "If you know of a spy program, you can see if it is detectable by going to File, Check Database."
    PS: that should be File, Query the signature database.

Another quote:
    "SpyCop is a computer monitoring spy detector, not an advertiser spy detector."

3. Unclebobee

Unclebobee Registered Member

Re:SpyCop 9 June 2003

So, where would someone obtain the updates? Thanks for your reply. unclebobee.

4. FanJ

FanJ Guest

First you start SpyCop.

Then in SpyCop you click:

File > Update Signature Database Now

You will see the following window coming up:

Attached Files:

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Then you click on Update Now.

You will see a window coming up with the info about last database and last version.

Attached Files:

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

If "New database Release date" is newer than "Installed database release date", then click on OK and the new database will be installed on your system.

In most cases the New number of Detectable spy programs will also be higher than the Installed one.
    Sometimes however, those numbers are the same while there is a newer release date. In that case it is most likely that -for example- a false positive was fixed (these things can happen with all scanners).

[hr]

The situation is a bit different when that above shown window tells you that there is a newer version of the program available on the website.
    In that case you will have to go manually to their website, download the new one, uninstall the old one and install the new one.

After that it would be advised to check again whether you have the latest database.

You might have to have a look at your settings tab of SpyCop to check whether all the settings are what you want them to be.
    [hr]

In all cases (new database and/or new program version are installed) it is advised that you don't put a checkmark in the box (in the Settings tab) "Only scan files that were created after the last scan".
    Use that option only after you have first done a full scan after a new database and/or program was installed.

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

How to get a newer version:

Assuming you have already bought SpyCop and installed an older version.

Go to:
    http://spycop.com/products.htm

Download the SpyCop full version.

You will be redirected to this page where you can download it:
    http://spycop.com/spycop-personal-product.htm

Here describes the SpyCop company the steps for upgrading:
    http://spycop.com/faq.htm#Downloading%20and%20Updating%20SpyCop

1. Completely uninstall the old version.
    2. Restart your computer.
    3. Use Windows Explorer to manually delete any remaining SpyCop files, if any.
    4. Download the new version of the software.
    5. Install the new version.
    6. Run the new version and enter your existing registration data.

8. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I just saw, after installing the last version 5.5, that the update window is slightly changed.

So I thought that it might be a good idea to give you a new screenshot.

The change is that you can now directly go from the update window to the download site in case there is a newer program version.

As you see in the screenshot, I have both the last database and program version installed.

PS:
    In my case, after uninstalling old program version and installing new version, I had to download the last database to be up to date.

Hint:
    In general it is highly advised, in case of both new program version and new database, to not do a full scan with the old program version together with the new database.
    In such a case you first have to install the new program version, then check again whether you have the last database, then check your settings in your settings tab. Then you can do a full system scan.

Attached Files:

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yo' da' man, Jan! Excellent post, screenshots and explanations! Pete

10. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks a lot Pete !!! :D

11. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Re: The "Super STEALTH Scanning" - "Lastly, Super STEALTH mode (4) will temporarily revert your system to the way it was before any programs were installed."

"Accessed by selecting option (4) under Scan, Super STEALTH mode will temporarily revert your system to a "clean slate" by closing any programs not shipped with Windows. This prevents spy programs from watching SpyCop in operation, from tampering with SpyCop while scanning, and from replacing their files as SpyCop renames them."

"After selecting STEALTH mode, you will be shown this dialog. It is extremely important that you follow the advice in this dialog! Once you click YES, your system will be ready for a full SpyCop scan. You should restart Windows afterwards to ensure that your drivers and other applications are returned to normal."

Attached Files:

12. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Thanks Pete !

You are the SpyCop expert !

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

..let's say, the both of you are a perfect "expert combo" :cool:

regards.

paul

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Jan - Have you still got a right-click menu that includes scanning a file or folder with SpyCop?

I seem to have mis-placed mine. :D Pete

15. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hey Pete,
    You're right: I too doesn't seem to have such an option :rolleyes:

Cheers, Jan.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

However you can still start SpyCop, then click Scan, and then the following window will pop up.
    That window still gives you the option to scan a file or folder:

Attached Files:

17. FanJ

FanJ Guest

To give you an example that this really works, I scanned the file studio.exe belonging to the screen-capture program SnagIt.

SpyCop gives me always a warning on that file, and I agree that it is OK that SpyCop does give that warning.
    It has the potential to make timeable screenshots (and that's an example of the things that SpyCop tries to detect), but at the other hand SpyCop also tells you "Ignore if you installed this program". I'm fully satisfied with this.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.