spybot

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ellison64, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Ive noticed with every new incarnation of spybot ,that more and more system resources are used.As a 98se user im now at the stage where opening spybots gui drops my system ,user and gdi resources from 57 ,57,60 down to 7,7 and 10.....and thats after closing most other apps.If i leave any open spybot effectivly brings my resources to zero and thus causes me to reboot.Why is spybots gui such a resource hog when practically every other spyware prog ive tried uses a quarter of that of spybot?Any other 98 users having problems with spybot?
    ellison

2. dog

dog Guest

Try running the Scan minimized ... I think the 'refresh rate' for the GUI while scanning, causes unnecessary resource usage.

Steve

3. ellison64

Thanks for reply ,..however just opening the programme is the problem,never mind scanning.I need to open it for example to immunise etc.It uses a huge amount of resources.I guess xp users may not notice howver , on a 98 system it is ridiculously high , and causes reboots often if other programmes arnt shut down first.
    ellison

4. ellison64

Thanks for reply.I have 256 meg of ram on a p3 733 machine ,but this isnt the problem as i still have over 60 meg with it open.I use a fixed swap file ...386 minimum and no maximum.Again i do not believe this is the cause.Here are two pics ...one before opening spybot and one after.
    before...

Attached Files:

5. ellison64

and heres a pic of resources after opening spybot...

Attached Files:

6. ellison64

I just closed everything and only had explorer running and the resources showed a drop of 40% for system and gdi resources , and an 18% drop for the user resource,when opening spybot.The resources are released as soon as i close spybot by the way.If yours is only a 14% drop on 98se then ill have to investigate further to understand why thers such a huge drop on mine.
    thanks again for reply.
    ellison

7. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi ellison64,

No answers for you here, just posting to let you know that on my 98SE system, I am having the same sort of problem. In my case, it really only matters to me when I need to update the program, as I have to turn off several apps to be able to accomplish this. I don't have a lot running when offline(dial-up), so I don't really have a concern then. Anyway, just to let you know that you aren't the only one with a similar problem. :(

Best wishes,
    VV

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey ellison,

I notice you are using version 1.3. That version does exhibit and has exhibited high CPU usage for many users for a longggg time....especially if using the TeaTimer feature. While there are many users that seem to not have a problem....the only way I have seen the usage fixed is by downloading the Beta version. While some users do not like the word Beta....1.4 Beta 2 is an improved version of 1.3....but it's not an entire re-write like many other Beta versions.

I would suggest you read the below post from a Spybot Moderator concerning the downloading and installing of the Beta version.

If it helps....I was able to cure 3 other Win98 SE workstations by installing the Beta....without any issues for over a month.

This Spybot Forum post---> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=23143&view=findpost&p=120279

9. Vietnam Vet

Hi Bubba,

I also still use the 1.3 version, and even though I do not use the TeaTimer feature, I think I will go ahead and install the Beta. Thanks for the additional info.

Best wishes,
    VV

10. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey VV,

Just in case you decide to use TeaTimer.... make sure you download the full installation because the integrated update doesn't contain the updated Teatimer.

1.4 beta 2 Download thread---> http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showtopic=25574

11. Vietnam Vet

OK, Bubba. I read that info when I read your first link and have already downloaded the full install, as I like to keep a copy of the installers burned to a CD for anything I am currently using. Thanks again.

Best wishes,
    VV

12. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Your Welcome VV....and good luck with your install :)

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very true....in fact I have a number of workstations @ work that exhibit no problems....yet we have some that do. All one has to do is visit the Official Spybot Forum and they'll find many users with 98SE PC's exhibiting this problem.

14. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

yep, the beta is on mine now for around 3 weeks and works great.

15. dog

dog Guest

Hi All, ;)

Just as a courtesy for members, and guest alike ... I tried the full installer mentioned ... (Not needed, as I don't run the Tea-Timer & was already running the beta :p) BTW Good Info Bubba.

Anyway it seem ... the definitions you get are incomplete, even after an update. To resolve this simply DL the definitions from Spybot Updates to get caught up to date.

(Warning this Link is a Direct Download) - http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe

Then Update as usual from there. ;)

Steve

16. ellison64

Thanks to all who replied.Ive just tried the beta version.It does use slightly less resources, 30% rather than 40 when opening the programme.I dont have tea timer enabled by the way.It seems to me its the gui thats causing the problems on my puter and not any background process.Using iarsn taskinfo i dont see any excees memory or cpu usage used by spybot.Nor do i see many "child processes" etc.I dont have any special video card just the basic onboard one and im wondering whther this maybe causing the problem,Im set for 16bit high colour on display , which should in therory be ok.I think ill try it in safe mode and see whtehr it makes a big differnce in resource usage.
    ellison

update...I still get huge resources used when starting in safe mode.I guess ill just have to live it.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  17. Vietnam Vet

Just a follow-up post.

My experience is very similar to ellison64's findings. I know that I am running lower on resources when online than perhaps most people would be comfortable with. :eek: I accept that and can live with it. But, I will say that Spybot is the only program I have a problem with. That indicates to me that Spybot is just a little too hungry. As long as I can continue to get the updates, I will continue to use the program, as this is really the only time it represents a problem to me.

Thanks for all of the advice offered! It is appreciated. :)

Best wishes,
    VV

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  18. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Whats your Job bubba, what are the pc's used for?

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.