SPYBOT

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by rjramik, Feb 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjramik

rjramik Registered Member

I'm not a computer jock by any standard. I learned of SPYBOT through a friend. I learned of SPYWAREBLASTER as referenced on SPYBOT. These days, I dosen't take much to get my head screwed around!

At any rate, the question(s) I have relate to duplication of software on my laptop. I am running Norton System Works and Personal Firewall along with SPYBOT. Looking at the software available here, I'm wondering/confudsed what I should or possibly should not be running? Oh, I do have SPYWAREBLASTER running as well! As for my usage, I surf the web quite a bit and receive a large numbere of emails on a daily basis. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

2. sick0

sick0 Registered Member

i dont quite understand what your question is. do you mean that you get a lot of spam mail? if so, then get a spam filter.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hi, and welcome to Wilders!

You sound like you are pretty decently protected; so long as you keep your computer habits safe and smart. You will never get everyone to agree on one particular AV or firewall, because personal preferences over weaknesses/strong points come into play. It doesn't sound to me like you are running anything that you should not be. our main page at www.wilders.org provides lots of general information if you want to learn about just what the different applications are used for, and of course any further questions are welcome as well.

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

rjramik - There are a handful of programs that I consider essential to anyone on the net - you already have some of them.

SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, the A/V, A/T and firewall of your choice (properly configured, updated daily and run at least weekly.

If your primary browser is IE, you should be using IE-SPYAD by Eric Howes - with a properly-configured "Restricted" Zone, of course - from here:

http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/resource.htm

and, since you use Norton stuff, you could probably benefit from using Eric's "ProWagon" feature, too (same page, scroll down).

As far as helping you deal with your email, I use the last free version of MailWasher here ( http://www.mailwasher.net/ ) - but I've heard very good things about a program called K-9 by Robin Keir ( http://keir.net/k9.html ), too.

(If you do decide to use a "mail previewing" program to handle spam, please don't "bounce' emails, okay? Just delete un-wanted stuff off the mailserver you use).

Of course, you absolutely must keep both your OS, mail program and browser totally updated and patched, too - and those three need to be set up safely, settings-wise.

There's more - but I don't know how "in-depth" you want to go with this.

If you do decide to get anything else, do yourself a favor and actually read/study any "ReadMe" files that come with them, any "FAQ'S" pages that might be available for them and make sure you know about any possible conflicts they may cause with anything else you already have by looking for any "Known Issues" that may be associated with them.

HTH Pete

5. ladyjeweler

ladyjeweler Registered Member

Thanks spy1 for mailwasher link! :)

Jeannie

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome, Jeannie. Pete

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

good post Pete, as usual ;)

have a cookie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.