SpyBot Search & Destroy v0.92 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Paul Wilders, Feb 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

source: software author

regards.

paul

2. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi!

Just downloaded and installed v0.92.

After running it, it found 2 checked entries realted to MS Media Player. I have MS Media Player installed also.

Should I fix these 2 items?

Thanks
    :rolleyes:

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

http://bRe: SpyBot Search & Destroy v0.92 released

Hey, WE Sim!

Yes, you should. They concern 'MS Media Player list of recently opened files' and 'MS Media Player last used directory'. (Those are 'usage tracks').  It will also remove Microsoft Media Player Clien[“›ŸV"C)Þ¬”m÷žASee this page: http://beam.to/spybotsd ( 'english' section, 'Features' link). HTH Pete

4. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Thanks!

;)

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome.

Did anyone besides me have problems un-installing .91? Pete

6. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

it crashed on my XP system.  Far, far too much still in Deutsch - I'll have to uninstall it.

7. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

I'm sorry for what's still left in german. I develope everything in english first, so those texts in german are the ones my compiler does on it's own :(
    I'll use the english version of my compiler for the next release.

If anyone wants a preview of the next release:
    http://patrick.kolla.de/software/files/spybotsd.preview.zip
    (Already fixed the invalid parameter bug, added or updated CommonName, New.net, BDEProjector, eZula, Gator, Web3000).

8. Checkout

Thanks!  I'll give it a try!

9. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Welcome, Patrick!  (aka PepiMK),

Nice to see you here!

For all those interested in Patrick Kolla's SpyBot S&D:

Net-Integration is hosting the official forum for this software now:

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3c84da4f69ebff ff;act=SC;c=7

(Since you didn't mention it, Patrick, so will I   ;)  )

regards.

paul

10. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I just tried it. it found some stuff that needed to go alright. I like it.

There were some issues though, mainly language stuff. But hey, I prefer to answer 'Ja' instead of 'yes' anyhow.

The 3 reg files for the language regfiles eg:

SpyBotSD.Nederlands.reg

all failed to install. I don't know what they do but I don't seem to miss them.

11. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Thanks Paul for mentioning the forum! :)

About the Ja/Yes: those dialog buttons are generated by my compiler, and until a few days ago I thought that the compiler would be intelligent enough to use the installed windows defaults instead of hard-coding the text. As doing a parallel install of the english compiler isn't that simple (and I still need the german for local projects), I'll wait until I fixed everything else for 1.0.

I can't image why the reg-files would fail. All Spybot-S&D does is call regedit with those files. If you install them, you'll get additional languages on the Settings/Language page. But if you choose 'No', they won't bother you again.
    Was there a error message from regedit or from spybotsd?

12. Checkout

Hmm...  E/A fehler 32?  What does this mean?

13. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

E/A Fehler means I/O Error. I/O Error 32 is a sharing violation. Another XP problem of Spybot-S&D I guess. Has it happened when you wanted to clear the sti_trace.log file? That file is somehow protected or always opened under XP; I've got it on my ToDo list for the next version.
    See the forum paul kindly mentioned, it's already listed as a bug there.

If this happens regularly, you can edit the file SpyBotSD.Logs.sbb with notepad and remove the line containing sti_trace.log.

14. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Registry Editor
    Are you sure you want to add the information in SpyBotSD.Netherlands.reg to the registry?

Yes        No

----------------------------------------------------------------

Registry Editor
    Cannot import SpyBotSD.Netherlands.reg:Error opening the file.There may be a disk or file system error.

OK
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    This is what my regidtry looks like after all this:
    http://tds3.solargiant.com/SpyBotReg.jpg

So folders are there, and only the age key is there. These reg files don't do that part, theye were done before.

15. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Thanks for so much details and the image! If every bug report would be that clear! I name you 'user of the day' ;)

That two values in the registry are written by Spybot-S&D. The (Default)="-" is so that Spybot-S&D knows it has once asked to add the language and won't do that again - until there is a newer language file, and to know that it creates the Age value (don't know why it's all ffffffff, I guess I have to look at that, too).

Can you open the reg-files with notepad (right mousebutton on file, 'edit')?
    Is the contents like you would expect from a reg-file (if you know how they look)?
    Can you install the language while Spybot-S&D is not running by double-clicking the reg-file?
    Do you use Win95 (there may be the problem that the Win95 regedit doesn't support the Unicode text, which I think I had to use for french/spanish characters)?

If it's not to much asked, would you come over (just for this problem) to the official Spybot-S&D-Forum (paul has posted the url above)? That way other users with the same problem could gain from your help, too.

16. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

simple solution:

I ran the reg files from windows explorer and they worked fine. BUT I had to tell WormGuard to let them execute. It had popped up and stopped the execution pending my judgement (exactly what I want Wormguard to do). Wormguard did NOT pop up during the install of the program at all. Perhaps Wormguard stopped the execution, but gave no pop up window?

I will uninstall SpyBot, disable WG then try installing it again. It may be just that simple.

UPDATE: even with WG uninstalled same thing happens (failed reg entries during install, but successful if done manually) No WG intervention this time ofcouse, so WG is NOT the problem. Age value is still all 'f's, but the values entered by the .reg files all show the values you'd expect after reading the .reg file, so no issue there.

If I was to guess as to what the issue is, I'd say these files are trying to run when the registry is still in use by the main install program. Can multiple programs create keys simultaneously, or should one finish before another begins? Any time I wrote code to enter reg info, it was always in one program so there was no conflict, so I have no idea how that would work. I guess I could write a quick vbs script to test, but you probably already know so I won't.

Oh, just so you know, this is all taking place on a W2K Server. MSDN version (test but no commercial usage). It is the same build as the regular version, just not licenced to profit off.

17. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

PS I really like the Ja/Nein boxes. Can we keep that? Ja? Nein?

Also that message box stating:

"If you remove advertisement robots with this program, you may not be allowed to continue using their host programs. Read their license agreements for further info."

really needs a "don't show this window again" check box!!!!

18. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Well, as I thought to write the code for inserting the reg's myself instead of calling regedit (to replace that popups with a single more comfortable window), this shouldn't be a problem any more with the next beta (see Spybots Forum).
    It may take a few more days, but as I've written my registry unit myself (including export), a simple import will be quite easy.

(No need to uninstall to retry, you just had to delete the language keys in the registry, and Spybot-S&D would ask again)

About the Ja/Nein-Boxes (and more german messages): english would be better for international users; best would be if the compiler would use the systems language. Maybe Delphi 6 does this (I'm using Delphi 4); I'll give the personal edition of D6 a try and have a look wether it's license would allow me to use it on this project (but I think it is free for Open Source only, and I don't have the money to buy it right now).

BTW: The "Don't show again" is hidden under 'Settings/Settings/I do know about all that legal stuff.' But I guess I could make an extra window with a checkbox for that, it's on my ToDo-List now.

19. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Ah, that's what that is for. I had no idea what to do with that option! No need for a new checkbox, just clarify the intend of the existing one.

20. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Too late, now there is one  :D
    (will be online in tomorrow's beta)

21. Checkout

This happens every time at boot.

22. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

UNICRON where you get desk top captureing software i been trying to find a way to get pics of my desk top of things i do that way i can make a step by step instuction thinghy.

is there anything that lets me capture my desk top

23. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

MRBLAZE,

No special software is nessessary. To copy a pic of the  entire display to your clipboard, just hit the printscreen button at the top of your keyboard. (on my keyboard it is beside F12) To copy just the active window, hold down the alt key and hit Printscreen.

It is NOT nessessary to hold down the shift button when you hit print screen, even though it looks like you would have to because on the key below print screen is "Sys Rq".

24. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

=( im hiting the print screen and stuff nothin happens

25. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Yes it does, it just happens behind your back.

Now open your favorite image editor (MS Paint will do fine), go to Edit/Paste, and voilà:  there's what you just copied.

Good luck,  

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.