Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5 Released!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Nubiatech, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Togg

Togg Registered Member

Trouble free so far on XP Home. I didn't opt for Tea Timer to run nor for immediate updates (I don't do installations while online!) and I didn't uninstall 1.4 first.

The whole definitions update thing went well (nice new interface) and today's were also trouble free.

Scan time seemed about the same but I wasn't timing it. My immunization numbers agree at 66402, slightly less than some others who posted theirs, can't say I'm too bothered.

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I was able to unimmunize and uninstall ok. Firefox is faster now.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: Hi, cheater87: glad to hear that. Hope ST's immunization can fill that role for you. Good luck.

4. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

Everything fine with it here. Ditched Firefox went with Opera and could kick myself for not doing it sooner.

5. cheater87

h'm using Spyware Terminator's immunizer for now.

6. GrailVanGogh

GrailVanGogh Registered Member

Not experiencing any lag at all.

Fx, Opera, or Avant/IE

Running full Immunization and Spybot hosts file.

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

:D Congrats.

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That is very odd. Not sure why your XP count is the same as his Vista's count? o_O Maybe it is a hard coded number in the program (as in just give them a value and make them feel "OK")? :D

9. Deke

Deke Registered Member

I am showing over 800 unprotected under \Software(Plugins). I tried somebody's suggestion from another forum to reimmunize again to no avail.

10. hotasy2k

hotasy2k Registered Member

Install S&D 1.5 yesterday, previously using 1.4, am using XP, and so far no major problem, immunization work ok, only issue i have is i can only scan using the the scan priority set to normal, anything higher will cause 100% usage to my cpu and hang it, hope they fix this issue soon, otherwise this is a great software.

11. Deke

Deke Registered Member

I did and "Undo" then reimmunized and everything is okay now.

12. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I had aswell, but i traced down to Immunize function so undid everything and internet is working fine. I use Spywareblaster anyway so i dont need that function.

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I never allow update during the install. I don't want corrupt updates and that is what I get with all servers except Safer-Networking in Europe and I cannot control what server is used if the update takes place during the install. If you have never had problems with corrupt updates from all servers except Safer then I can sort of see why you allowed that but I still think that should not even be a choice. For one thing, if you access through a proxy, the updating will fail because you have not yet set that. Updating should be done after installation and after you fix all settings IMO.

But updating has nothing to do with why that page was blank. When I used System Restore to restore back to a point just before the installation of 1.5, I still had NO list of products yet I was fully up to date. Just now, I found new definitions available and I installed those on 1.4 and I STILL have NO list of products protected against. The page is completely blank. A scan runs just fine so the data base is there. It just is not showing on the ignore products page for some reason.

14. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, you are not alone. Posts at GRC Software Security NG and Mozillazine indicate that there will likely be severe performance problems with Fx if one immunizes in 1.5 for Fx. This evidently is due to the large number of lines added to your hostperm.1 file in your profile. This can make the size of the file large enough to have a severe impact on Fx performance. One tester stated that he started with a clean install of Fx and a borrowed hostperm.1 file (as that file doesn't exist on a clean new install) from another computer that was 45KB in size. Immunizing Fx caused the file to swell to 636KB and cause severe performance problems.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=3042843#3042843
    http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php?id=119661&group=grc.security.software#119661

15. cheater87

I hope they come out with a fix for this. If they do I would gladly reinstall it.

16. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Hi Mele20,

I do believe that you misread my post. I did not allow the app to update during the install. In fact the install was done with the firewall, anti-virus, etc. turned off, so the last place I want to be is online at that time.

On my system, before the update was done, the only thing I had listed was the two entries that are shown on the Revision.sbi tab. After the update, everything is listed in it's proper place for me. As said before, my post was a for what it's worth relating my experience.

Best wishes,
    VV

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, I see now that I did misread it, sorry. But why did you go about updating during the install in the first two sentences when you then finally say you didn't do that? You have me confused. Besides, when updating is done has nothing to do with my not having the products list shown. There is some bug ...something blocking the list being shown. It may be something on my computer. I have not uninstalled 1.4 and then installed it again. That might fix it but that means a lot of rebooting and I hate to reboot.

18. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

Mele20,

Let's see what I can do about getting you unconfused.
    Those infamous first two sentences you refer to mention the Download Updates Immediately box and say that is checked by default. They go on to describe what happens if you leave the box checked. Period. End of story. It does not say one word about me attempting to update during installation.

Used Goback to return system to the time just before the installation of Spybot 1.5. SDHelper is installed even though I unchecked it during the install, not the TeaTimer as I stated before. My bad! Still, unchecking it in the config settings causes the BHO to go away, so again, no harm, no foul.

After the install, there are 17 files in the Spybot Includes folder, only one of which is a .sbi file(revision.sbi) and that contains two entries. One(cdilla) is checked by default. After configuring the app to my liking, two more are added. After going online and updating, 17 more files are added, all of which are .sbi files. Also, on the File Sets tab, those same 17 additional .sbi file listings are now represented. Before, only the Integrated Search for Spybots listing with its 29 checks was listed(ignoring for now, the Useage Tracking entries and the lone Revision.sbi).

To me, that says the Includes database did not exist before I did the update. Keep in mind, that I uninstalled the 1.4 version, including leftover files and reg entries before installing 1.5 version. Since you did not uninstall 1.4, your mileage may vary.

But that doesn't change what I said about the database. I was referring to the install of 1.5. As stated, my post was about my experience. I referred to you to point out that the includes database was not installed with the app on my system in case you hadn't done an update yet and that was a possible reason for the missing listings. No more, no less.

What does the File Sets page show you on your system? Are the various .sbi (includes files) listed there?

One more thing I should clarify. This computer is a 7 year old Gateway with 98SE installed and the numbers I mentioned may not necessarily match up to what anyone on XP or Vista sees.

Best wishes,
    VV

19. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Spyware Blaster and Spybot Immunization do not seem to play nice anymore. I cannot seem to unimmunize either, even after doing so in Spyware Blaster first. This isn't good!

20. GideonD

GideonD Registered Member

Okay it looks like it did unimmunize. It just took about an hour to do it.

21. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

I finally worked out what the problem was, just have no clue how to fix it.

Spybot seems unable to immunize Opera cookies for some reason.

I undid the immunization (which as GideonD said, took about an hour), and then redid it. It now shows that opera cookies aren't protected.

22. Hipgnosis

Hipgnosis Registered Member

No problem with Opera cookies and immunization here.....

Attached Files:

23. argus tuft

argus tuft Registered Member

This is what I get.

spybot.jpg

24. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

They fixed my update problem at the SSD forum. :)

25. alonewolf1

alonewolf1 Registered Member

sorry to change the subject here but
    does anybody no if the built in shredder in
    spybot 1.5 was removed or place somewhere else
    in 1.4 it could be found in the advance mode tools
    section.

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.