Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chaos16, Jun 1, 2005.
Did they fix the HOSTS file false-positive issue present in the beta releases?
Not sure, I just found out about this on dslreports. I will install and report back regarding the hosts file issue.
EDIT: Scratch my original edit post. I rebooted and scanned again, it was back to normal scan speed for me (which was sorta slow, but I use hpguru's HOSTS file).
And yes, its giving off some FP's (imo) out of his hosts file as well.
Double click on piccy to view full size Spybot scan results.
Installation method, recommended by Donna at Calendar of Updates:
1. Undo immunization
2. If SDHelper and TeaTimer are enabled, deactivate them first.
3. If Opera Browser is installed, de-select "Opera Immunity" protection.
4. Uninstall old version of Spybot S&D
5a. Optional step: If you want to completely remove the all and old registry entries of the old version of Spybot S&D, get the registry file from the forum or get it directly from the website. Save it to your desktop where you can find it easily. Simply merge the reg file to the registry.
6. Install Spybot S&D 1.4
Once again, from Donna at COU.
After you installing Spybot Search & Destroy v1.4, do the following:
* Update the program
* Allow Spybot S&D to immunized your Internet Explorer
* If Opera Browser is installed, select "Opera Immunity"
* Don't forget to select "Enable Blocking of Bad Address in Internet Explorer
* If you want Spybot Search & Destroy to detect all items that it can detect, read this.
* Configure the settings
* Run a scan!
I'm confused. Over 8 months and neither v1.3 nor the new v1.4 find any thing. I used it on daily basis and it always salutes me with "Congratulations! No immediate threats were found"
So that's a bad thing?
to make spybot scan faster, minimize it to the task bar. i think i first read about this at Calendar of Updates' site. i haven't used spybot for awhile, but it diffinately worked with the versions that were out a few months ago, not sure about these newer versions though
I kinda suspected that might still be the case. Thanks for the feedback.
I'll stick with 1.3 for the time being.
Not saying that, but after 8 months I'm thinking there might be some thing wrong preventing it from detecting. Thanks
Found this posted over at COU by roddy32.
It seems there is an issue with regards to SpywareBlaster after following the install instructions as listed above. Some have found, most all, that several items in the 'restricted zone' protection have remained unticked. With me it ws only 4, and others more. But its an issue, so I wanted to alert everyone.
And a thread from C|NET forums
That will always be an ongoing issue and has been around from the moment Spybot and Spywareblaster entered the Restricted Sites protection a few years back when the only kid on the block was Eric Howe's IE-Spyad. The above is one of the reasons Eric Howe's placed a comment in his ie-spyad.txt.
IE-SPYAD text file
So whether it's Spybot, Spywareblaster or IE-Spyad....users do need to be aware that when protection is removed from one programs database....it will most definetly effect entries in regards to the other porgrams database.
Separate names with a comma.