Spybot S&D found a bot called tekum updater. Needs some help please.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by notageek, Oct 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I know what program installed this bot. Is it a false bot or a real bot? The program that installed it is HandyBits EasyCrypto. Should I be worried about it? When I went to info on the bot it said that it would still run even after I disable it.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Re:Spybot S&D found a bot called teknum updater. Needs some help please.

I think you mean "teknum". With that spelling you can find a number of hits through Google. Mostly, they seem to be saying that it's really persistent in trying to keep itself alive on your system, and it puts a lot of entries into the registry.

The posts seem to be mostly made prior to August 1 when Spybot S&D added this to its spyware lists.

My rule of thumb is, if it isn't doing anything positive for me, why not remove it? ;)

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Have you tried going to the Spybot forum?Pepi would probably know about that bot and whether it's a threat or not.You can get there thru Spybot by clicking "credits".I haven't heard of teknum or found it on my system with Spybot.So I don't know what it is.

4. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

The Teknum Systems folder is a hidden folder that sits in Program Files\Common Files, and it indeed comes with Handybits programs like EasyCrypto and EasyCrypto for one won't function without it.
    It checks for updates of the program at startup, and will even restore this value in your Run key if deleted.

I dislike that kind of practice, but I'm still running the program myself as well.
    Incidentally, one can download updEnabler.exe on http://www.handybits.com/update_service.asp

It will allow you to disable the update service.

Your program will still require Update.exe to load at startup, but it won't want to access the net any more.

Cheers,

5. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Re:Spybot S&D found a bot called teknum updater. Needs some help please.

Thanks Tony and The Tester. I'm going to head over to the spybot forum after bit and ask about Teknum. It still makes know since in putting something like this in a encryption program. I thing people should have the right to update on their own. Not having a program that rings up as a bot looking for updates. Thats just my opinion.

6. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, the problem is, that removing the Teknum folder, or the Updater itself breaks the product, so the only choice you have is either keeping Easycypto, or replacing it by something else.

I've set it to ignore Teknum, as I like EasyCrypto a lot.

As the updater is easily disabled, I don't see a big problem there.
    I'm also having my firewall block it, just in case.

However, it's good that SpyBot alerts you to it's existence, and one can then make up one's own mind about what to do with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.