Spybot RC3 Teatimer Resident Protection a Resource Killer?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DV8Cowboy, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DV8Cowboy

DV8Cowboy Registered Member

Hey all,

I just installed Spybot SD RC3 over the top of 1.3beta6 with I thought no worries..until I watched it suck nearly ALL my cpu, mem, gdi, and objects resources. :eek:

I've disabled Teatimer Resident Protection until there is a fix or I sort this out. Any ideas, similiar experiences or situations?

This Resident Protection feature will be a real winner...if it doesn't kill the patient first. :(

- Cowboy

2. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Normally you should uninstall the old version first before installing SD RC3....

Ciao,

Smokey

3. DV8Cowboy

That doesn't address the resource problem Smokey. It is good to do as you say if you were coming from 1.2, but there are a lot that went from 1.3beta6 with absolutely no problems. There are however quite a few AFAIK with damning resource issues in the Teatimer Resident Protection feature of RC3.

Where does the resource killing come from?

- Cowboy

4. the mul

the mul Registered Member

I thought u might want to know that teatimer resident only uses about 1-2% of my cpu and about 6500k memory usage.
    The only thing that I had to do when the teatimer was installed with spybot, was allow ewido to be able to complete its updating by adding ewido to teatimer allow list,because teatimer was wanting to block ewido from completing its updating totally, because it said that it did not recognise ewido which I suppose is its purpose to block unknown items and suspicious changes.
    Also it is running smooth and fine on my xp pro system

The Mul

5. DV8Cowboy

Thanks for your experience Mul. I guess my resource use If I don't have Teatimer Startup approaches what you have.

It dawned on me now that my inescapable resource munching is involved with the Teatimer Booting at startup and it never 'lets go' of the resources thus encumbered. I cannot at all allow Teatimer in startup. :(

In short, I can only use Teatimer disenabled from startup (thru msconfig) without a catastrophic cannibalism and ultimately a hard boot...and I don't know why. o_O

There must be one of the other processes loading at boot that is a serious conflict (fatal) that stuffs it all up. I run Avast Pro, SG, SW Blaster, Mailwasher Pro, Weather Watcher, WinMessenger, CachemanXP on a AMD TBred B Box w/512meg Ram.

I'm lost, but your experience at least gets me closer..

To where I want to go.

- Cowboy

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

This is what it's using here. Pete

Attached Files:

7. xflat

xflat Registered Member

Hi all. First post here. I am Googling around looking for others having a problem with the SpyBot Teatimer. I also am having system resource issues on a XP Home/P4 2.7 with 1gig of memory. Been a SpyBot user and fan for years. Also am running Avast/SpyWare Blaster and guard/AdAware and Pest Patrol. When I allow the TeaTimer to start up my system just freezes. CPU pegs 100%. I have it disabled from starting up and all is well now.
    I have removed SpyBot cleaned the registry of all traces....and reinstalled to no avail. :rolleyes:

8. JimF

JimF Registered Member

I just uninstalled SpyBot 1.3 RC3 because it was causing random hangups in various programs. I did not check the resource usage, but it is probably the same problem you had. The 1.3 beta 6 version worked OK for me (before TeaTimer).

9. dangitall

dangitall Registered Member

Hi, Xflat, and welcome to Wilders!

I really hate to steer people elsewhere for help, but you might want to check at Net-Integration for Spybot-related problems. Where they host the Spybot support forums, you're more likely to find something to help you over there.

Sorry, JimF: you posted while I was typing my response to Xflat (I'm a hunt-n-peck typist, so I'm slooow!). Welcome to Wilders!

I assume that, where you knew you were using a beta version, you also know about the support forum at N-I? If not, give 'em a try. It can't hurt and, while the information from there will eventually find its way here (through cross-membership), you're likely to get it quicker there.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  10. DV8Cowboy

Thanx dangitall..

But been there dun that, even sent email to support at the author to no avail..

Not a word, and nothing in their forum. I suspect that is why we are all HERE looking. ;)

That forum was the first place I looked, then emailed, then posted here for others LIKELY to have 1) encountered this and 2) Have a workaround or at least an idea as to where the problem stems from.

Keep it comming folks, communication is a wondrous thing! :)

- Cowboy

11. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

Hi,

I have turned OFF the teatimer and I am NOT having any problems at all.

12. DV8Cowboy

Exactly so Marianna, the problems that occur when Teatimer Resident Protection is enabled at startup is the issue. What happens on your system when Teatimer Resident protection runs at startup?

THAT is the killer, for me and at least a few others.

- Cowboy

13. Marianna

Marianna Spyware Fighter

HI Cowboy,

well as I had downloaded and installed this version - I "thought" it was DARN slow - I also spotted immediately this "thingy" near the clock - so, as everything was sooooo slow, I went hunting for this "thing". As I found it, turned it off in the program - rebooted - but that "thing" was there again - so then I found out it was in msconfig(Startup) took the checkmark out, rebooted and everything went fine from there on.

14. DV8Cowboy

Except for the fact that we cannot run Teatimer Resident Protection in startup because of a resource problem. That is a problem that we need resolved.

Turning it off for bootup (via tools and msconfig) does not resolve the issue, as many of us would like it to run at startup without undue use of resources or maxing out the cpu.

Teatimer Resident Protection should be OFF as default as well as having the resource issues at boot addressed.. and fixed! :(

- Cowboy

15. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm.. just dl and installed latest.. Uninstalled 1.2 first.

I have DCS's Process Guard installed, and during restart of system [just restarted to clear anything, etc.] I got alert whether to allow/block Teatimer.exe from running.. did not like the sound of it, so blocked.

Start up ok. then ran SB and during it's start wanted to allow Teatimer to run.
    PG alerted again, but this time I Allowed Once...

Looked in TskMan and it's not there LOL.

Anyhow did a scan and it found this "DROPPER"

EDIT: Just found out FP.. :D

Just wanted to input re Teatimer, is that a RTM now, on sys startup?

If so, Nah, ... I now just decided to block it permanently, as don't want another resident RTM operating.. Just want to use SBS&D as an On Demand.

Also I noticed SB's useage in TM is pretty high.. like 17,000+ just sitting there idle. AdAware about 10k

Cheers, TAS

EDIT: Just noticed something else.. I was looking unde settings, ignore products, well in 1.2 you used to see ALL of the entries in each category, I cannot see anything at all except for a few 'IRR' entries... Malware, LSP, Keyloggers, TABs all show nothing.

Is this right. I mean, I DON'T WANT to check any of them to ignore, but it was good to see what was scanned for.

Items #: 13039, correct?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  16. NetBoot

NetBoot Registered Member

No problems at all running SpyBot S&D 1.3 RC3 and TeaTimer about 5k. Running on Windows XP SP2 RC1.

I uninstalled the older release first, deleted any remaining directories and files, then installed the new release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.