Spybot no longer effective?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

All the newer antispyware applications do is produce a never ending ton of false positives. Give me SpyBot any day over those. I did get a FP with Spybot's latest definitions but FP's with Spybot are few and far between compared to CounterSpy and Ewido and the others. Plus, Spybot has GREAT TOOLS. Spybot is worth having just for the tools.

2. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I can agree - Spybot's tools are awesome. I value IE immunization the most since it helps me realize that with the right protection, IE is just as safe as anything else. This is why I feel alternative browsers are overhyped for security. You CAN secure IE. I do use and love Opera and firefox, but I'm saying, I wouldn't promote them for security, but rather for increased general speed (mostly Opera with that).

Anyway, Ewido is weird to me sometimes. It finds totally random false positives. I have NO symptoms of an "Alexa Toolbar" or anything, yet it found that once. I was thinking "uh, there's no toolbar. Period." I'd never touched any Alexa products or sites.

I like Ewido but I also like how A-Squared offers the same basic qualities without the GUI bloat. A2 is more functional and less frills.

3. Happy-Dude

Happy-Dude Registered Member

Spybot is not being that ineffective at all though. It is a freeware program and doesn't get much funding at all (despite donations). Its as good as a freeware antispyware gets (better at detection and removal of major threats than Ad-Aware by far). As posted by others, the options and abilities of this program is still great and effective. One of them is the more info tab, which, even though MIGHT be a limited description, it still is a description and a help to inexperienced users. Also, the Advanced Mode invited power users to put the program to the most potential (I don't use it though, I'm scared of tampering with it too much).

As far as this goes, Spybot S&D is still a good product, but not THE best. At the same time, it is a good 2nd detector to pick up after the traces of other programs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.