SpyBot DSO Entries ??

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by unholyone, Nov 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unholyone

unholyone Registered Member

Hi,

I just installed, updated and ran SpyBot 1.3 on my XP system.

It came up with 4 DSO Exploit Registry Items. I am not sure if these should be removed or if they are needed for Windows.

One reason I wonder is because I noticed a new item in my startup called "dumprep 0 -k" in the %systemroot%\system32\ directory that was not there before.

I uploaded a jpg of the entries. I am not sure if it will be shown as I have never uploaded files here before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

What Spybot flags as DSO Exploit is simply a security setting in Internet Explorer related to "Downloading unsigned ActiveX controls" within the hidden "My Computer" security zone in IE.

Spybot's v1.3 release is actually unable to "fix" this setting because there is a bug in that version. If you were to tell it to fix those, they would turn up again in the very next Spybot scan, so it is best to just ignore those.

Also note that they are not a sign of any type of infection or spyware problem on your system. If you patched your XP system at the Microsoft Windows Update site in the last two to three years, your system won't even by vulnerable to that specific exploit any more. (It's really a non-issue.) There's more on this here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=45842

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=41203

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

"dumprep 0 -k"... is not related to DSO Exploit, and is explained some here:

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=1384

Basically, following the first "Blue screen" crash of an XP system, that entry is put in startup to prep for crash dump analysis. You can leave that entry or remove it, either way is fine as you'll probably never have a crash dump file analyzed anyway. Almost no one ever does. If you remove it and have another crash, that entry will return again.

5. unholyone

unholyone Registered Member

Thanks thoses posts are a big help.

6. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

if you really wanted to you could get the 1.3.1TX ver. of spybot. alot of places wont reccomend it cuz its not really supposed to be released but many people i talk to did get it including myself and it does stop the dso exploits. again though, some places dont recommend it but it does work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.