Spybot crushes Adaware in major spyware victory??!!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Baz63, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baz63

Baz63 Registered Member

I have used adaware for 3 years now and have always felt extremely confident with it. However, having spent many hours on this site I decided to download spybot and see if it could pick up anything adaware missed.

I couldn't belive it. Spybot located 13 tracking cookies and 8 gator spyware programs and a comload program adaware failed to detect. The DSO exploits I understand from this forum are not problematical. And in fairness to adaware Spybot appears unable to delete the comload and i cannot locate it in my registry.
    Nevertheless, I am disappointed with adaware and when I posted on the forum my post was censored (partially edited excluding details of the stuff missed by adaware) and a response from the forum moderator which failed to address the issues in my post.

Should I be concerned about this?

NB. Adaware is correctly configured for optimum scanning.

BTW, this is an excellent site. I've spent hours here. I've learned all about reg editing, cleaning, backups and downloaded regseeker. I had 29,000 cookies and 2,900 registry rubbish. I suppose that's what you get with 3 years of intense surfing with a 1.5mb connection combined with completely neglecting your registry. Now my PC boots in a flash. Thanks to all you gurus from whom I've poached so much knowledge.

2. dog

dog Guest

Re: Is this a stunning victory for Spybot?

I'm glad you like Wilders' and we've been of service to you ... That is Our Mission.

Congrats ... on your Knowledge Gain, and the Increased level of your Security & Awareness - Well Done. ;)

No Scanner is perfect ... and None have the same databases ... It's all about a layered defense. Both Ad-Aware SE & Spybot are Top Notch Products. Keep them both and run them regularly ... there's no conflict and the complement each other nicely.

The Concern shouldn't be what one of the other Picked up or Did not ... Concentrate on Prevention --> How Did I get Infected in the first Place is a great starting point. ;)

HTH, ;)

Steve

3. Ailric

Ailric Guest

4. Baz63

Baz63 Registered Member

Thanks both.

I take your point dog. Makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the link airlic. The versions reviewed are previous versions but it's informative.

I've got a more balance perspective now.
    Cheers.

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

What I like to do is set Spybot to do automatic scans while I sleep, and just run AdAware manually once in a while. Then you have the benefit of both programs while you only have to run one app :) Like Dog says, each will pick up things that the other will miss, they're both good programs and both worth keeping.

You might also think about getting Javacool's apps, Spyware Blaster & SpywareGuard (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com)

6. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

But are also things that ad-aware finds which spybot won't. It would be usefull if we had one tool which did everything but then we would end up with more manopolies.

Jimbob

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Would you have Macrosift in mind by any chance? :D

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Re: Is this a stunning victory for Spybot?

Another interesting read:
    The Spyware Warrior Guide to Anti-Spyware Testing by Eric L. Howes

Regards,

CrazyM

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Yes :D

Jimbob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.