spybot and prolivation

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ceru, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ceru

ceru Guest

Hi,

Just one more question : every time I use Spybot I get Prolivation in red which states :HKEY_LOCALMACHINE........... prefix change www=http://

I get rid of it but when I check with spybot after a few minutes its back again.
    Just wondering what prolivation is , is it bad for my privacy and how I can get rid of it permanently ?

(On a minor point spybot identified about 40 log activity files. should I clean them all ?)

Thanks !

2. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Prolivation is a Browser hijacker that hacks HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\URL\DefaultPrefix, so that every time you type any URL, you get redirected to the Prolivation site.

Minor stuff, but very annoying.

SB used to falsely detect Prolivation for a while, but this ought to have been fixed one or two updates ago.

Go to the online tab, download all updates on offer, shut down and restart SB, and see whether the problem still occurs.

Cheers,

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

In addition, I just went to the SpyBot board and found this one, which further encourages me to think that you may not have all the updates installed:

http://www.net-integration.net/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=3dd78a955409ffff;act=ST;f=28;t=767;hl=new

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Ceru - in regards to the log activity files; this is a matter of personal preference. If other people use the computer and you don't want them to be able to see what you have been doing, then delete them.
    If you don't care or you are the only one using the computer, some may be something you use like the "last files opened" lists in programs like MS Word and such. I delete them all while I am there simply because I like to run a clean ship and not take up any memory space with stuff I don't use.
    Some people love being able to drop a window down and open upt he last file they worked on in that particular program though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.