Spyblaster 3.2 won't update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by talonsgrip, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Someguy

Someguy Registered Member

I had a similar problem. The cause was the IMON module of NOD32.

The spyblaster program was set to "Higher efficiency" in the IMON setup. Changing it to "Higher compatibility" resolved the issue for me.

But not everyone here is using NOD32 I guess...

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Glad i noticed your post.

Similiar problem here too, changed my nod32 settings as u suggested and all updates work fine now.

Thanks.

snowbound

3. John F

John F Guest

That's it. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

I had disabled Mcaffee firewall and that didn't seem to solve the problem, but I took your advice and unblocked SB from its list. Not sure I understand why the disable didn't make a difference, but perhaps others might find your advice a solution to their problem.

Whaaaahoooo. John.

4. Shirewolf

Shirewolf Registered Member

I have the exact same set up and problem as you, but just recently solved it.

1) Go into NIS 2004 and remove your Firewall rule for SpyWareBlaster. Close NIS 2004.
    2) Run SpyWareBlaster 3.2. From the main page click on Update, then Options. Under Options set the following: Use a direct connection to the internet. Then place a check into the box for USE ALTERNATE DOWNLOAD METHOD.
    3) Now click for SpywareBlaster to update. Norton will pop up and ask for you to set the Firewall rule for the program. Use allow on all ports.
    4) SpywareBlaster then updated for me and I've had no problem since.

I hope this helps. Good Luck.

5. davidbaldwin

davidbaldwin Registered Member

Re: Spyblaster 3.2 won't update - kills Internet connection!

I guess this is applicable to this section - JavaCool please help!

I have SpywareBlaster 3.2 running fine on my computer (Win98SE)

On another computer, running Win98SE, I just tried to install it. I found out (after not being able to run the manual update - it hung and gave me the same "not available" message as others have posted here), that it actually kills my internet connection. Nothing gets through - not even a winipcfg renew (DHCP error).

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no change. I can restart the computer and get the Internet connection back; everything's fine. Then start SpywareBlaster - get the loading database message, and all internet connectivity is gone. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O??
    McAfee VirusScan Pro is installed, but there is no firewall associated, and disabling the McAfee "Active Shield" makes no difference. I simply have to restart the computer to get the internet connection back whenever I try to run SpywareBlaster - nothing else has this effect. Spybot 1.3 is also installed. Strangest thing I've ever seen. I'm not sure how it closes the connection, but it does. I'm not sure how to get it back except restarting.
    Thanks

6. Preventer

Preventer Guest

I'am having a similar update problem too.

Windows XP SP2. Zone Alarm. Spybot SnD, SpywareBlaster, Spyware Guard

- spyware guard, spyware blaster wont update

- turned off XP firewall, Made Zone Alarm accept all Spyware Blaster and guard settings and connections. then turned Zone Alarm off.

-deleted then manually downloaded: sbdatabase.dtb, chkdatabase.dtb, and sbinfo.dtb, to no avail.

can you help? thankx in advance.

7. mnmus

mnmus Registered Member

Interesting issue. Four computers here at the house to update. One Win98SE, two Win2K, one WinXP. Three update easily, once of the Win2K computers fails with the "Error connecting to the update server" message.

All computers running Sygate Personal Firewall. All have access for Spywareblaster enabled. On the computer the updates fail on, have

1.) disabled the software firewall—no joy
    2.) tried all the options in the Updates... Options menu—no joy.

OTOH, manual update works fine, so it's just a wee tad more cumbersome that using the handy lil update feature.

Nevertheless, I'll likely continue following this thread to see what develops.

8. jhberry

jhberry Registered Member

I tried, once again, to get SWB 3.2 to manually update and got the same error message; however, I also got a ZoneAlarm dialog box that said, "is-FHSG9.tmp is trying to use SpywareBlaster to access the Internet." When I clicked on that dialog box's "View Properties" button, I got the message, "Windows cannot find C:\Windows\Temp\is-5MD94.tmp\is-FHSG9.tmp...." I then used the Windows Search function to locate each of the tmp files and they were not found. I then went to the SpyBlaster folder, under Program Files, and could not find those tmp files. Does anyone know why those two tmp files are not present?

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

This is the worst bug I've seen with Spyware Blaster and I have had it from the very beginning. This has happened with every update since this version came out. I want to go back to an earlier version which doesn't have this bug.

With options set automatically which is to update via the system's connection/proxy settings, what really irritates me is that it says it is downloading the latest files. Then it says it has installed them and claims I am protected. But in actuality, it has done nothing. That is soooo misleading!!! I would love to get an error message like so many of you. The only time I get server error message is if I try connecting using the option "use the proxy below". If I try a direct connection to the internet I get the same "pretend" download and installation that happens with the correct connection which is use the system connection/proxy settings.

I am not eager to uninstall and reinstall as the last two times I tried that it killed my internet connection and I had quite a bit of trouble getting it back. Plus, that worked once and I finally got some updates. Then it went right back to saying it had updated when it hadn't and uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help again but just again killed my internet connection. How can uninstalling and reinstalling Spyware Blaster kill my internet connection anyhow?

I have no firewall besides a router and ICF and I use XP Pro. I also use the Proxomitron but I have never had a problem before this Spyware Blaster version with having it go through Proxo for updating and I have had Proxo about the same amount of time I have had Spyware Blaster. I have not yet tried to update on my older 98SE box. Can we just go back to the earlier version? Will it update? This version has been nothing but problems. The earlier versions were outstanding.

10. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi,

SpywareBlaster doesn't make use of any such .tmp files when you try to update, so it may have just been a ZoneAlarm "hiccup" of sorts.

(ZoneAlarm should say "spywareblaster.exe" wants to access the Internet - are you getting a similar message for any other programs?)

Does a similar message appear when you try again, after a system reboot?

Thanks,

-Javacool

11. supervisor

supervisor Registered Member

i am also getting the same reply, when trying to update.

12. tc@21766

tc@21766 Registered Member

I getting the same error message as all other posts. I'm using WinXP Home SP2, ZoneAlarm, Spybot S&D, Lavasoft AdAware, AVG Free & Avast AV. Not changed anything recently but still no updates. Downloaded alternative downloads but still nothing. Still a bit of a novice so don't like tweaking bits I'm not sure about. Please help anyone. :'(

13. jhberry

This was the first time that ZoneAlarm gave me that dialog box, referencing those two temp files, for any program trying to go to the net.

I just tried the manual update routine again (after doing my weekly maintenance and rebooting) and got no ZoneAlarm dialog box, but got the SpyWareBlaster error message, "Error Connecting to Update Server."

14. Loquacious1

Loquacious1 Registered Member

Had this same problem and figured it must be NIS firewall settings. Opened the program to take a look at it's permissions, discovered my firewall was no longer protecting my system thanks to freeware I'd installed which crashed icons in the system tray, performed unprescedented corruptions, and apparently killed my firewall. (eprompter in case anyone is interested)

Thought I'd been had by spyware at first, but realized it was badly coded software, and the obvious cuplrit being the only software I'd installed in months. To make matters worse, XP refused to roll back my system, so I had to re-install the corrupted system file for that also. Had Spywareblaster not brought this all to my attention, however how it did so, right now I might be in a world of hurt. I'm a happy wahini now...

~My debt of gratitude to the developers~ :-*
    Thanks for the great software too!

After re-installing Norton's Systemworks, then NIS and endless liveupdates, this program fired right up, then updated beautifully - as did SpywareGuard.

Attached Files:

15. jhberry

Just to report--Spywareblaster 3.2 is updating again. Of course, I don't know why, but here's the sequence that led to its updating again: It started when I switched to SBC Yahoo DSL. After installing the DSL I found that my system was being bombarded with spyware and trackers; the SBC Yahoo Privacy Protection wasn't doing anything to stop them, and neither was the built-in firewall of the router. After talking with several SCB Yahoo techies, I was advised to un-install the Privacy Protection and re-install SpyBot and Ad-Aware. In the course of re-installing Ad-Aware, I also re-installed Spywareblaster and, surprise, surprise, it installed and I was able to update it manually. At the same time, I re-installed ZoneAlarm since I can add specific sites to block whereas the router's built-in firewall won't allow these additions. This combination of re-installations, plus adding specific sites to block, has drastically reduced the amount of spyware and trackers showing up on my system; in fact, I've gone two days without a single spyware or tracker getting on my system. Of course, I have no idea if any of these actions are directly contributable to Spywareblaster being able to update. It could be that the Spyblaster software has been fixed. And I'm still not 100% sure that Spywareblaster is working because I'm not getting any blocking confirmation as I've set it to do. Anyway, right now I'm a happy, if ignorant, camper, still looking to verify that Spyblaster is actually working.

16. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Do you mean 3.4....or are you still attempting to use 3.2 ?
    Given that statement about blocking confirmation....I would ask you to start another thread and discuss this matter....since Spywareblaster does not have blocking confirmation :doubt:

In fact....since this thread is about 3.2....I'll close it now. If Javacool sees the need to re-open....he'll do so.

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.