Spyblaster 3.2 won't update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by talonsgrip, Jul 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talonsgrip

talonsgrip Registered Member

I can't get Spyblaster 3.2 to update. The error messeage says:

"Error connecting to update server. There was an error getting the update information from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download."

I'm using Windows XP with Norton Internet Security 2004. I reinstalled Spybot 3.2 with no results. How can I fix this? o_O

2. --NZ4ME--

--NZ4ME-- Registered Member

Re: Spybot 3.2 won't update

I am receiving the same 'error' message. I am using Windows '98. I have also un-installed and re-installed Spyblaster 3.2 all to no avail. Can someone please help :'( :'( :'(

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi talonsgrip :)

Try opening the SpywareBlaster interface, click on Updates>Options and use one of the other methods of downloading updates.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

4. --NZ4ME--

Hi Snowbound
    I have tried your suggestion except for the option re the proxy server I wouldn't know what to do there so left well ebough alone ........however neither of the other two options worked either .......

5. talonsgrip

talonsgrip Registered Member

Found the problem with mine. I turned off Norton Internet Security and it worked flawlessly. I guess I'll just have to do that when I go to update.

6. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

Open NIS and go to Personal Firewall-Programs. Remove the Block has been established on SpywareBlaster. You will probably find 2 entries...one from 3.1 and then a new one for 3.2.

7. --NZ4ME--

Talonsgrip and Siliconman thank you both for your replies .....
    I'll try .........don't hold your breath. :D

8. --NZ4ME--

Well I tried again with my Norton's all turned off .......still nothing .....how many updates have there been since Version3.2 came out??

9. jhberry

jhberry Registered Member

I'm having the same problem. I have MS Me, ZoneAlarm and McAfee Antivirus. I've turned of both ZoneAlarm and McAfee Antivirus before rebooting and still get the same error message, "Error connecting to update server. There was an error getting the update information from the server. The server may be temporarily unavailable, or there may be a conflict with firewall software installed on your PC. The update information file may have also gotten corrupted during download."

Has anyone come up with an idea for a fix?

10. |Shattered|

|Shattered| Guest

Im getting the same thing. Whats up with this?

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

I just checked and got right in fine, so the update server is up and running. Since I already got the latest update last night, there were no new ones available for me at the moment, but it got to the server fine.

As noted above by Snowbound, for those that have not done so, use the different Updates > Options settings to see if one works, including adding the "Use alternate download method" to each.

There's also the manual update links available in this thread:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=12266

12. CharlieX

CharlieX Registered Member

Hello!

I have the same problem. My SpywareBlaster just won't update. With V3.1 I had no such problems, but with V3.2 it won't update. It'll check the server for updates and after a while (around 2 min) it'll pop up the window Error downloading file with msg "The server returned following error:" and nothing else.
    What's up with that? I also tried the alternative download method, but to no avail.

13. |Shattered|

|Shattered| Guest

Don't worry alot of us are having problems with this version of SB. I also have tried all the methods of downloading. I still get the blank error message, and the files get corrupted after I try to download updates...

14. |Shattered|

|Shattered| Guest

I guess I will have to manually update V3.2 every time? If you really need to update thats the only way right now (people with a problem like mine)... Do as watermark said in the post above.. :)

15. CharlieX

CharlieX Registered Member

Yep, that seems to be the only option right now (to manually update SpywareBlaster).
    But, could you please fix this problems (pretty please, with sugar on top :) ) as soon as possible? With that problem fixed, I would be one happy puppy... :)
    But thanx anyway, for the great program and your effort...

16. test4echo

test4echo Registered Member

Hmmmm - I am sorta new to SB myself, and not sure if this is relevant to folks on this thread, but if anyone is trying to use autoupdate - I believe that will now not work unless you buy a subscription?

17. jhberry

jhberry Registered Member

I've got to be more specific about my problem with downloading SWB updates. I'm receiving a message that says, "Error Connecting to Update Server." The message goes on to say that it's either a problem with the server or it's a conflict with a firewall software. Since I've attempted the download several times, I suspect it's not a server problem. Yet, when I disable my ZoneAlarm firewall program, that doesn't solve the problem either.

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Have you tried changing the proxy settings under updates/options? Trying either "direct connection to internet" or "system proxy settings" (whichever is not selected now) just might do the trick.

19. njturk

njturk Registered Member

I have to agree with everyone, v3.1 updated automatically, and v3.2 either hangs, or takes forever to come back from the server. Is it possible I missed an update on SB that removed autoupdate from the free version and is only available on the registered versiono_O

20. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Just for clarification...

"AutoUpdate" is a separate module within SpywareBlaster and it is "pay" feature. A subscription is bought for this service and details can be found in the SpywareBlaster program by clicking on the AutoUpdate button and reading through some screens there.

The built-in updater (via "Check for Updates" button) is the one most people are talking about when they mention that it hangs or gets an error trying to reach the updates server.

Finally, the totally manual update method mentioned here in a few threads involves using your browser and saving the 5 individual SpywareBlaster database files down to your system and placing them in the SpywareBlaster folder.

So, it isn't that the program removed or changed how the built-in updater works, and it hasn't been removed. Indeed, tens of thousands of PCs successfully scan for updates everyday using the built-in updater. Unfortunately, there appears to be a problem on some systems getting to the update server or downloading the files.

As yet, no pattern has been found to this problem. With literally millions of SpywareBlaster installs world-wide, I'd have to imagine in time there will be enough reports to figure out whatever is behind this problem.

21. gengish

gengish Registered Member

Same problem here, SpywareBlaster 3.2 on WinXP SP1. I've configured my firewall, Kerio 2.15, to let SB access the internet but it didn't work. Weird thing: this morning I wanted to give SB a try and installed it: it did update pretty well. Then I decided to restore an old image of my Windows partition, include SB, configure it and make a new image to burn to dvd. So I did, but now SB doesn't update. I hope they will fix it as soon as possible, it's a major bug (maybe it isn't a "bug", anyway it's a not-working feature).

One more thing: since manual update works, I hope they won't switch to online-update only. That would be a serious problem for many many users.

Bye,

gengish

P.S. I'm not english, hope you understand what I wrote. :)

P.P.S. I've just read that Javacool is only one guy. Is that true? If it's true, chapeau. He's doing a very good job.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  22. Fragile Impunity

Fragile Impunity Registered Member

I was having the same problem so i went into my options menu for updates switched my connection to direct (from system connecetion/ proxy settings) and checked the "Alternative Download Method" and all i well now so that might be one route to fix this problem but i have a feeling it wont work for everyone.

Good luck.

23. kka

kka Guest

I'm running a different firewall (EZ Trust) and Avast antivirus on XP pro SP1. So, it can't be ZoneAlarm or Norton Security pack preventing us from updating. I am beginning to suspect it may be a new and unknown kind of virus or trojan.
    In addition to SWB+antivirus+firewall, I've got SpywareGuard, Ad-aware (frequent scanning), Spybot S&D (frequent scanning).
    I also have shut off potensially dangerous features via use of SafeXP and XP-antispy. Nor am I ever using Internet Explorer (won't let itself be removed, though) but Firefox only (latest update).

24. John F

John F Guest

Same problem here. No combination of the 'options' solved the problem.

I disabled McAfee firewall, so can't believe it's that and I'm running Win98, so it doesn't seem to be an SP2 issue.

I also have SpyBot S&D - do others with this problem have it too?

Worst still, I've failed to download from the manual links. Four of the five files give me the usual 'File download' dialog and I 've saved them to the Spyblaster directory, accepting the over-write. One seems to open as a text file (http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywa...er31/sbinfo.dtb) which I saved and removed the .txt filetype. Now Spyblaster says my database is corrupt.

I'm sure I'm doing something stupid; can you tell me what?

Thanks,

John.

25. recole

recole Guest

Try looking at your lists of controlled internet programs in your respective firewalls. Mcaffee had blocked internet access to Spywareblaster. Changed it to filter and everything worked fine. I should mention my other computer using ZoneAlarm never had this problem but take a look as it may apply in your case. Naturally I had tried all of the difficult things first. Anyway I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.