Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus 5.2.3.2120 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Chubb, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

my old scans with spysweeper 5.0 where so unpredictable once it took 4 hours and the counter was wrong the whole time. the scan times seem better this time.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hey Lodore:
    worse I ever saw on any SS version was 25 minutes, checking everything, compressed, roots restore images.

How many files are you scanning? Something else must be wrong?

What is the CPU usage on your PC ?

Mine is like 1-2% tops.

3. Cleatus

Cleatus Registered Member

Dcdc;
    Thanks for the suggestions,I've restored the favorites:thumb: .I've installed Trendmicro a.s and trying it.I think my pc feels better now:D

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

im scanning 50gb worth of data. without compressed folders and rootkits it can take 20minutes but sometimes it takes 2hours and the timer is completely out, i hate my music skipping!

during scanning its hard to use the computer because it uses all my cpu because it put it on use as much cpu as you need to and want it to finish first.

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

OK...So what is the verdict on Spysweeper 5.2 WITHOUT antivirus? In general, do you feel that it is worth the update from 5.0 to 5.2 if you are not going to use the AV?

How about just a simple vote of yes or no?

6. Escalader

yes, go for it. You can add the virus scan or not maybe as an on demand addition to the prime AV you use now.

7. Escalader

Hey Lodore:

I scan only 17 GB with all options on in about 25 minutes.

To get in the cracks of files/programs it is IMHO best to turn off
    Everything else during scan. I don't do that all the time. But for sure disable the internet

AND TURN OFF YOUR MUSIC, it is keeping me up:D

8. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

5.2 is not perfect, but at least 5.2 is more stable and runs better than 5.0, even without the AV. There are some improvements in the CPU and memory usage. From my experience, Spy Sweeper don't run very well with KAV, F-Secure and Outpost, although 5.2 is more stable than 5.0. Spy Sweeper runs better with NOD32.

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

the scan i done today took me 32minutes which isnt bad really

10. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I downloaded 5.2 today without the AV (I use NOD32 for that). The sweep of my system took 26 minutes. That was a custom sweep with every option checked (compressed files, system restore, rootkits, etc). That same sweep with 5.0 was taking 24-25 minutes. So it's about the same.

I really haven't much of a difference at all on my system from 5.0 to 5.2. I do think though that I like the interface on 5.0 better.

11. Escalader

Great.
    Thats better than my speed cosidering you have more GB's to process.

The new 5.2 interface is better as well, except for the mix up on full vs custom scans

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

that was with me playing music and browsing the web and odvisaly f-secure on.
    im gonna show my dad the eset uk site tomorrow and nod32 on my old pc to get him to like it and let me install it at the weekend hopefully wish me luck=}

13. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Where's the definition updates?

Am I the only one that hasn't got a new set of definition files in a while? I'm still have version 783 with 153,692 def. I download that a week ago. Have they not released a new set yet? I've had this problem with 5.0 before upgrading to 5.2.

14. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Re: Where's the definition updates?

Hi acr45,

The most current definition version is 789 with 154,562 def.

If you are doubt that the incremental definition update is not working properly, you can download the full definitions by following the instructions below:

1. Place your mouse over the yellow radar, press Ctrl-Alt together and hold, then double-click the yellow radar. This will reveal the hidden buttons

2. Press the "Download Full Definitions" button to download the full definitions.

See if you can get the latest definitions.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7661/mainscreen25oct06hiddenyz5.png

Attached Files:

15. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Thanks Chubb that did the trick, but I got another question. Is the anti-virus sweep really working. I did a sweep today and it just seemed like it only swept for spyware and not viruses. I expected it to take longer since a virus sweep is now involved. Also I was thinking about uninstalling my Free version of Anti-Vir and keep webroot's anti-virus. Kind of a stupid question but is webroot's anti-virus better than a free stand alone AV program? By the way I thought you had to pay for the anti-virus. I got it free?!

16. SoCalReviews

SoCalReviews Registered Member

After a major disaster with the SS 5.0.x releases I had to revert back to SS 4.5.x until this recent SS 5.2.x release which actually seems to be working well so far. The only issue I have found at this point is that when the common ad sites shield is enabled on my system it prevents some popular web sites such as the www.cnn.com news site from loading at all. I am now wondering about the new SS AV component and how compatible it is to use it with other AVs installed. Installing two AVs on one system is usually never a good idea even though both ZASS and NOD32 seem to install and co-exist without conflicts. I decided not to install the SS AV but the AV add-on offer seems like a good deal. I don't need it since I have ZASS with the CA AV engine (with the real time features disabled) and NOD32 running for active real time protection but the idea of having three AVs with NOD32 for real time and the other two AVs for on-demand scanning is an interesting possibility.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2006
  17. Escalader

SoCalReviews:

Yes, you are correct. I have ZA Pro, with ASW turned off use it as a on demand.
    Also when I renew SS I will tack on it's AV for $10.00 leave it off use it as an on demand AV.

For active AV I'll stick with BD 9 which updates every 2 hours or so and has good heuristics. For ASW I'll continue with SW 5.2 and it's updates.

Not what everybody else does but there it is.

On your cnn problem have a look at your ZA settings for that site for mobile code or cookies/scripts that is blocking it.

Hope that helps

18. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi acr45,

For full version of Spy Sweeper 5.2, before your subscribed (paid) to the antivirus protection, your screen will look like this:

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/3126/mainscreenfirstinstallwlt5.png

After you have subscribed to the antivirus upgrade, your screen will become something like this:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/5797/mainscreenafterdefinitiic2.png

So, what is shown on your main screen? Spy Sweeper only or Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus?

And on your main screen, what is the status of your Virus Shields and Sweep for Viruses? Is it in green colour or greyed?

Do you have the box "Add antivirus protection to your subscription"?

If you are using the full version and has not paid for the antivirus upgrade, Spy Sweeper will only (1) download spyware/adware definitions and (2) sweep for spyware/adware. Virus signature will not be downloaded and virus will not be scanned for.

But the trial version has included antivirus component as a free trial, so that with the trial version, the update will download both Spy Sweeper definitions and the virus signature, and sweep for spyware/adware and viruses.

Since SS with Antivirus is still quite new, I would suggest that you wait for some more comments on the performance of the antivirus component before you decided either to keep Anti-Vir, or to subscribe to add antivirus protection in Spy Sweeper or not.

Bear in mind that the Sophos AntiVirus in Spy Sweeper is only a component with NO configuration options on how to scan for viruses. Even though Anti-Vir is free, I would suppose that Anti-Vir will be more configurable than the Sophos AntiVirus component in Spy Sweeper. You can see the full configuration options of the full version of Sophos AntiVirus here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=859750&postcount=294

You can see how many configuration settings are available in the full version of Sophos AntiVirus. There are many!! Comparing with the full version of Sophos Antivirus, I am not aware of any configuration options for the antivirus component in Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus 5.2.

19. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Thanks again Chubb for replying. The main screen of my SS is the one with Anti-Virus. Just like the second picture there in your post. The boxes are green for virus sweep and virus shield.

Ex.
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j127/acr45/SSMainScreen.jpg

I'm not using a trial version of SS so I just do not know why I got it with Anti-Virus for free. But what's strange is that at first after upgrading to 5.2
    I could not get my subscription to be active for a while, it would always display it as being inactive. A few days later when I clicked check status of subscription again to see if it would work this time, it did so now my subscription become active like it should have been. By the way I did click add anti-virus protection when my subscription was inactive and all it did was take me to a page stating that I needed to pay 10 bucks. Why all of a sudden I don't have to pay after making my subscription active, I have no idea.

Ok now when I did an update it updated to include the Anti-Virus component. I'm currently getting Virus signatures all the time in my updates.

Ex. ~Link removed - contains product serial number - Ron~

My biggest question is why am I getting this for free! I'm not complaining about it being free but it just seems weird.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

~~ removed quote ~~ no need to quote an entire post when it's just above. ;) Bubba ~

i would get rid of link 2 because it shows you subscription number and you dont want someone nicking it.
    lodore

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  21. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Yes, acr45, please remove link 2 immediately, or maybe the moderator please help to remove link 2 in lodore's Quote post and also in acr45's original post.

Hi Lodore, maybe you also need to edit your post and remove the link in your quote.

22. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

Thanks Ron for deleting that for me. I was just about to turn off my computer and realized o crap I didn't hide my keycode number. :oops:

23. Chubb

Chubb Registered Member

Hi acr45,

I am gonna to tell you that it is a special Halloween present from Webroot!!! :D :D :p

I bet it maybe their mistake in tagging your keycode to include the antivirus protection. So just take it as a special lucky bonus and enjoy it...:thumb: :D

24. acr45

acr45 Registered Member

25. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

what does "enable direct disk sweeping" mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.