Spware updates on outpost...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by QC2B, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QC2B

QC2B Guest

How do I stop outpost from updating the spyware database? Underr 'tools' I have 'check for spyware base definitions' unticked and yet it still updates!

thanks,

J.

2. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Is there a particular reason why you don't want it to update? I would think it's best if you allow it.

I suppose you might be able to go into the application section and block AUPDRUN.EXE and/or OUTPOST.EXE from communicating out, but I'm not sure if that's advisable, I have never tried it myself. Another way might be to create a rule to block traffic to the Agnitum addresses, however, it would seem best to let it do it's thing.

3. QC2B

QC2B Guest

Because outpost is not my preferred anti-spyware program and so updating is just a waste - I just never use it. Seems a bit archaic that Outpost do not have an option to stop auto updates.

Still, thanks for your response.

J.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I wonder if disabling or removing the Anti-Spyware Plugin would also stop the updates? Have you tried that?

5. auriell

auriell Registered Member

For sure it will stop updates.

6. QC2B

QC2B Guest

Good idea, was obvious really!

thanks all,

J.

7. auriell

auriell Registered Member

I suggest you turn off every of useless plugin (handled by other programs). You will save RAM and keep CPU usage lower.