Spoofing alert

Discussion in 'FileChecker & ID-Blaster Forum' started by Szasha, Jul 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szasha

Szasha Registered Member

I am not a computer/internet guru by any means; yet quickly being forced to educate myself on how malicious hackers do their dirty work. Unfortunately a long way to go to grasp where the execution of attacks come from as opposed to where they originate. Thus the purpose of my post here.

I followed the link from the "other programs" section to download the filechecker program. Tried to download, but my ad-watch blocked it. I assumed my settings in ad-watch and/or panda firewall was preventing this, *hoping not spywareblaster...lol*

So, I disabled ad-watch first and it accepted the download. I then hit the back button on my browser so that I could return and look for other programs I might find worth a try to prevent yet another total loss of my hard drive. To my suprise, my firewall alert popped up to notify me that my network port blocked a spoofing attack.

Needless to say, I was rather alarmed to have such an attack derive from a security site! However, I do not feel justified to point fingers if I do not understand completely where the actual source derives.

I did not even know what spoofing was and had to look it up....rather shocked to realize a spoof is meant to disguise itself and be recognized as the victims own IP address. Which to me means I might as well contact the hacker and invite him to my house to sit down and go through windows explorer directly.

If I misinterpret what exactly impostering IP addresses actually does....irrelevant at this juncture how it is used, only the attempt is relevant to me, and naturally most relevant in context to this posting is to bring this to wilderssecurity.com's attention and make them aware of this so something can be done.

Quite frankly, I have faith in this sites programs and certainly extend benefit of doubt that they are being victimized in order to victimize we whom trust the safty to download thier programs.

In closing and with all due respect, implore the moderators/webmasters of wilders to look into this matter. Not at all a good feeling to be attacked from a site meant to protect you from them... :doubt:

Id love to know the outcome of the investigation; perhaps I will be enlightened to how spoofing is implemented and from where.

Thank you for your time. I hope to have been helpful. My intent not being to slander a good service this site provides, but rather to deter a possible unfavorable reputation to materialize because you are not aware of such rather ironic invasions of privacy and security.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Shasza,

Please post the relevant firewall log part ;)

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.