Split off Mele20's topic from the "Old or New?" thread

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Mele20, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Have you tried going into the AMON setup and excluding c:\System Volume Information ?

With all of the problems you have posted, it would probably be a liability risk for Eset to help you with anything at this point. A good example of this would be if you didn't know where to find the "System Volume Information" folder, and they helped you, and as a result you went into that folder and screwed something up, they could potentially be held liable for that. THAT just might be why Eset hasn't answered this question.

Think about it for a minute.. you are having problems that nobody else is having, problems that seem to anyone with troubleshooting skills to go beyond any one application, you refuse to cooperate enough to get those problems solved, you refuse to take any other suggestions, and you continue to try to find a way to paint Eset as the bad guy.. do you REALLY expect them to bend over backwards to help you with something that could potentially get them in legal trouble? Are you insane?

Please read that paragraph again.

Mele, every time I've seen someone try and give you a helping hand, you've turned around and slapped them in the face. Hard. If you aren't willing to face the responsiblity for your own actions (in this case installing and uninstalling a plethora of low level system apps, which eventually WILL hose your system, no matter WHAT OS you use) then you have nobody to blame but yourself. The suggestion to reinstall didn't arise from a single problem but rather as a response to ALL the problems you have posted on Wilders. You complain so loudly about these strange problems that MUST be the fault of the developers, even though nobody else has seen them, and yet you have shown yourself to be completely unreceptive to anything except the specific answer you are looking for.. unfortunately computers just don't work like that, if they did you wouldn't have these problems to begin with. THAT'S why I suggested you develop some heavy duty troubleshooting skills if you ever expect to keep your system completely stable while you mess with it in ways that are nearly guaranteed to screw it up.

When I was working phone support, we would ocassionally go the extra mile for someone having stubborn problems, going into the registry and getting to the nitty gritty of it all.. but we were absolutely forbidden to go anywhere near that far with someone that displayed the kind of attitude that you have shown in this forum. Take Jan's hint.. approach tech support reps as humans, and they are more likely to return the favor.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

There is not a huge difference. It is provided in case your drive fails or Windows becomes corrupt. No matter what type is provided you can format a drive and reinstall a fresh copy of Windows, that is the whole point of it being provided.

I have never suggested this.

My suggestion of reformatting has nothing to do with a so called “Nod32 bug”. It has everything to do with you posting that you have a “2 minute shutdown”, that you have tried other antivirus products on your machine and advised us that you have had issues uninstalling such. These and other multiple issues point to your Windows having a problem and or a conflict with a piece of software on your machine.

I gave you a hard time, when and where? ? ? ? ?

Prejudice, what prejudice? I have done nothing but try and help you. Could it be that you are feeling a little pressure from various posts having people asking why you will not try solutions and instead just talk it up?

I am not trying to take anybody’s side, all I have done is offer a very very simple solution that would bring your system back to a stable state, and from there you could experiment away to your hearts content. Until the above post, you have simply ignored this suggestion, and not made a reply to it…

I have not chastised you in the slightest. It is you that has been plainly rude, calling people “idiots”. If you choose to make a rude statement like that then you would expect to be given a little heat back. I am a very very passive and patient person, however if someone called me an idiot I would tend to fire up a little, though only a little.

All I can say is you fired the first shot…

It is not irrational at all, Eset have offices in the USA and Slovakia with many staff in each, Jan is from Slovakia and would like to see the email you were sent. If you didn’t want to post it for whatever reason, you could have sent it to Jan privately, though you have made a public statement that in effect it belittled you…

I don’t think this is the case at all, some people just require a little more attention than others and that is fine, it is just part of life… Equally though that person must want help or it is a waste of time for everyone involved…

Reply to the email, send a copy to Jan, or PM me and I’ll forward it on. Either way you would have an answer given time…

It appears for whatever reason that you are the only one with the email in question, just do as I have said and let’s see if we can find out who sent it to you…

Nobody has refused you Tech Support, they have asked for a copy of the email so as to look further into who sent it and what was said…

I do not know if System Restore can be ignored by AMON, as this part of Windows is very protected, so as to it being a bug, it may just not be possible…

At the end of the day I have offered you a very very simple SOLUTION, this SOLUTION will enable you to experiment with other anti-virus products that you appear to like doing, this SOLUTION will also allow you to experiment with Windows and any software to your hearts content, while being able to restore your system back to a clean image.

To me, it is your ultimate solution due to being able to continually go back to a clean image. I use the same solution now and love it…

All the best…

Cheers :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2004
  3. Blackspear

I have just been advised having AMON ignore System Restore is possible and it does work, though I have not tried doing so myself...

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

See, there you go ....refusing to believe that there ever be anything wrong with your precious NOD32. Blame the user...blame the user...blame the user....that is all I hear here. All I have ever heard here for two years. NOD32 is perfect and God help anyone who says otherwise. You are a fanatic. So be it. Why would I pay any attention to what a fanatic has to say?

I have said it until I am blue in the face. There is NOTHING WRONG WITH MY computers. Computers do NOT need to be reformatted every few days like many of you suggest as a way to ignore the actual problem. I am having no problems except with NOD32. I uninstall it and everything is fine. I have had no av on my 98SE box for a month now and it is running better than ever. This XP box runs fine also without NOD32. It also runs fine with KAV 4.5. As for my installing and uninstalling a " plethora of low level system apps" could you please list these? I have no idea what you talking about. I am an extremely conservative user and I have not needed to reinstall 98SE in over four years now and NOD32 has problems on it also. So, I guess all the low level applications that I have NOT installed are causing a problem? You are of the school that you cannot use your computer without needed to reformat constantly. I have a friend like that. He finally wised up and changed his behavior (he was very immature and he grew up finally) and lo and behold, he doesn't need to reformat ...wow. Maybe you should grow up and learn how to properly use a computer so you won't think a person needs to reformat anytime there is any problem.

And yes, I guess you don't read all the posts. I stated way back that I have excluded system restore in AMON but AMON still finds false positives and eicar in system restore. Have you tried excluding system restore on XP SP1a after putting eicar on your box and making a restore point? Does that work for you? Plus, I assume you have several false positives too that you can test also.

Thanks so much for continuing the insults that others have made. Don't worry, all you extremely nasty folks will be successful. You will drive me away from NOD32 and you can then pat yourselves on the back and laugh at my expense after I am gone. Just remember this forum wouldn't be here if it wasn't for my initial problems with Eset not answering their mail properly and not caring about the lack of support at Becky's. Eset has a poor history of support. Yes, eventually this forum would have come into existence but not for a long time because Rod didn't know how bad support was outside of Australia until he stumbled onto my problems and decided that this forum was a major priority. (In case you didn't know it Rod is the father of this forum and the reason it exists. He seldom posts here now because he got asked not to do so. Irony huh? Seems his style wasn't appreciated here).

5. Blackspear

There is no helping some people Mele, I wish you all the very best...

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have system restore ignored in amon and it doesn't find anything there because it does not scan it. If you ignore a file or drive it is not scanned which means it won't find anything there. and I have xp sp2

bigc

7. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Mele20

The simple answer is that once you have the hidden system folder 'system Volume Information' showing (BlueZannetti posted a link to the method earlier) and permission to access it if using NTFS, it can then be excluded like any other folder in Amon. If you don't wish to uncheck 'simple file sharing' in XP Pro, you can just share the folder with a name such as 'Sysinfo', allowing users to change it. You can decide whether there is acceptable risk in any of the procedure.

Take care... Quinn

8. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Mele ,come on, in the last month or so you have tried the following AV products( or at least posted that you have).. KAV 5, KAV 4.5, Trend Micro beta, MKS Vir and of course NOD. None of which seem to solve your problem. AV products ARE LOW LEVEL SYSTEM APPS. All make changes at the lowest level of the OS leaving plenty of oppurtunity to cause corruption leaving system instability as a result. You say there is nothing wrong with your computer and yet you have so many posts in numeorus threads and forums about your system over heating, not able to go into stand by, not allowing the monitor to go in to stand by, coming out of stand by for no apparent reason and so on, that doesn't sound like a prefect system to me. those are the only posts of yours that I recall at the moment but I am sure there are more.

Nobody said anything about reformatting every few days, where did you possibly get that idea? It has been suggested to by many people in several different threads. Almost everyone giving you advice is trying to help you through some strange problems that no one else seems to be having and yet you respond by calling people idiots and telling them to grow up, what a truly kind way to repay someone for taking the time out of their busy and hectic life to sit in front of their compter and try to assist you. I think it is YOU who should grow up, Blackspear in particular has done quite a bit for the people of this forum as well as yourself and to treat him as you have, to me at least, is quite rude and inconsiderate. I no longer have the desire to assist you as you will simply call me an idiot as well and tell me to grow up but I could not sit back without responding to how you are treating people that are trying to help you.

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Mele,

The people here are not fanatics, they are users. No more, no less. They are trying to help. The simple fact of the matter is that we are all working with partial information. We don't know all the details of your system, whether you have redefined ownership of the SVI folder, and so on. Asking you to do things - such are reformat - does not equate to blaming the user, it is a good faith effort to help resolve the problem. The advice that Blackspear offers in this thread, and throughout the forum for that matter, is technically sound, well thought out, and carefully presented, and based on fairly extensive field experience. You should not dismiss it out of hand even if it is not what you want to hear. I wouldn't. None of us perform a reformat lightly, however, it is useful to keep in mind that the time spent in composing responses within this thread likely exceeds the time that would have been spent on a full reformat/reinstall of your entire environment. I've only done it a few times in the past year, each in response to a corrupted AV install (these were beta's - not NOD32 - and it comes with the territory so I really can't complain), so I know the time committment involved.

If you read Blackspear's posts throughout the forum, it is clear that he does not view NOD32 as a paragon of perfection. It's a real program in which design objectives have been outlined and operating tradeoffs have been made. There will be some decisions we embrace, others that we grudgingly accept and perhaps try to get reconsidered, and some features that simply weren't examined during development that we'd like to see incorporated. Because we continue to use a program that does not match each and every detailed specification that we personally desire does not mean that we are fanatics, it means we are pragmatic.
    If there is a conflict in the system involving NOD32, of course uninstalling it removes the conflict. That only means the conflict exists with NOD32 present, and doesn't exist with NOD32 absent. It takes two (or more) parties to generate a conflict. Assigning all the blame of an uncharacterized conflict to one party is nothing more than erroneous deductive reasoning. Running fine with KAV 4.5 only means that the situation which existed with NOD32 no longer exists.

If your objective is to have a smooth running machine, and you say your machine runs fine with KAV 4.5, then it seems that you have you have a viable path forward.
    There's simply no need to engage in this type of editorializing. As Flyrfan111 has already pointed out, AV's by their nature are low level applications. If they weren't, they would not be able to intercept e-mail before it hit's your mail client, scan files before they are passed to your preferred office application, and so on. On an anedotal note, I do observe that my own system exhibits poorer stability when I am in a testing phase installing/uninstalling various AV's or other low level apps.
    As I basically pointed out earlier, you can make the SVI folder visible, but still not have permission to access it. I don't know the details of how information entered into the control centre is passed to the various modules that comprise NOD32. However, I can easily see this being a potential issue. Have you at least checked on the ownership state of this folder and tried the experiment suggested above?
    You keep mentioning a continuing wave of insults. I don't see them. What I see is frustration from both sides. Advice has been offered and declined - that can be frustrating exercise. Advice has been offered and it involves measures you simply do not want to take - I realize that this can also be a frustrating situation. However, that does not constitute a wave of insults. As far as I can read, the posts, for the most part, have remained factual statements and suggested approaches.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.