Split image files / incrementals confusion

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Miles_Teg, Jun 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miles_Teg

Miles_Teg Registered Member

Hi all,

I've been tasked with testing True Image 8 for our small business. We purchased 3 licences for me to test on, but I'm having some issues.

Situation:
    The images are being stored on a Samba fileshare, which has, due to de Ext2 filesystem, a 2GB/file limit. It was nice to find out True Image can cope with that, being able to split files in any desired size. Most of our PC's contain data way past the 2GB barrier, so imaged PC's produce multiple (numbered) image files.

I have the following backup scheme in mind:
    Full backup - Once a week, every PC scheduled at different times
    Incremental - Daily, scheduled at shutdown, once a day

But then the question arises what images to restore if one of the harddisks would have to be replaced. Lets say it's friday today. Last monday I started making backups, and a full backup was performed, to a file named Image.tib, producing 2 files:
    Image1.tib
    Image2.tib

Then there's the four images produced by the incremental backups on monday through thursday, specifying the filename Image.tib:
    Image3.tib
    Image4.tib
    Image5.tib
    Image6.tib

Problem:
    So now I picture myself sitting at the PC with the PC booted using the TI restore CD. I have the menu in front of me from which I can specify an imagefile to restore (Image1.tib ... Image6.tib). Which one should I take? I want to perform a restore to it's most current state.

(The procedures for these actions are not mentioned in the accompanying PDF, nor could I find helpfull info in other threads on this forum)

Thanks in advance,
    Miles.

2. PaulB2005

PaulB2005 Registered Member

I believe you select the last incremental image and it'll rstore to that point.

i.e. if, for some reason, you wanted to restore to Wednesday then you'd select image4.tib.

In the manual it says

I take the "current image" to mean the last image you took.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Miles,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that in order to restore particular incremental image you need to have all the previous incrementals and the full image. You may choose any image of the set (and any part of it) and you will be presented with the list of image dates. By choosing the date you will restore to the state your system was at that date.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.