Spin Retry Count

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TONPumper, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TONPumper

TONPumper Registered Member

What does this mean, and is it bad that my count keeps increasing every so often? I have a 488GB TOSHIBA MK5065GSX ATA Device (SATA). I used Speccy to get this information.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

ariolic.com/activesmart/smart-attributes/spin-retry-count.html
    "..
    Count of retry of spin start attempts. This attribute stores a total count of the spin start attempts to reach the fully operational speed (under the condition that the first attempt was unsuccessful). A decrease of this attribute value is a sign of problems in the hard disk mechanical subsystem.
    .."

and some comments
    http://www.howtofixcomputers.com/forums/storage/should-i-worry-about-spin-retry-count-247667.html

3. TONPumper

Thanks for that. My hard drive just crashed last night, so I just ordered a new one.

4. TONPumper

I guess I shouldn't say that it crashed. Whenever I boot my computer, I get the BSOD with an error code 0x00007b (I don't know how many zeros there are but I know that it ends in 7b) during the splash screen. I am running Windows 7. I have ran a check disk but it didn't do anything--or if it did, it didn't fix my problem. I have done my research and two different websites suggest that the problem is a corruption in the registry. They give suggestions on tools to download in order to fix the problem, but how do you fix the registry of a hard drive that won't boot?

5. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

with these kind of problems you also have to rule out the motherboard as the problem. I had a problem where I was getting bsod's and delay write errors. I suspected a bad drive and replaced it but it was a motherboard problem. You can always remove the drive and piggyback it onto another computer with a usb adapter or slave it into an open available slot. Thats how you can check it.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Try adding that tool onto BartPE or another Windows PE.

7. TONPumper

I installed my new HDD and checked the Spin Retry Count just being paranoid. When I first checked it, it said "100 (253)" but I checked it yesterday and it said "100 (100)." Is this one dying too? Why did the second number decrease this time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.