Spider is it good?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by the Tester, Nov 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I'm going to install Spybot on the same system that I mentioned in the other thread that I posted.(H/P Pavillion/Windows 9:cool:.I am looking for an index.dat.file cleaner for that system.Since Spybot will be used,it will clean most of the tracks but not that index.dat.file.Will Spider clean that file?Is it a good program?I see that there are two versions available for download,an exe.,and a zip.My Dad's system is basically an "out of the box" system.Did 98 have an unzip tool like xp does?Any tips and opinions are most welcome.

2. Scotcov

Scotcov Guest

Hi Tester.
    I run Win98SE, and I used Spider when I had IE 5.5. It definitely worked to view- and empty- index.dat.
    My version of windows did not have an unzip program, but there are freeware apps out there (UltimateZip is one). However, the exe.version would work fine.

Scotcov

3. snowy

snowy Guest

The Tester

as Scotcov said....Spider works just find on 98.....the only very minor problem I ever noticed......an have yet to meet anyone else who experienced the same problem....was that on one system Spider only worked when only one box at a time was checked.....that way it worked just great.....of course it takes alittle more time done that way......an re-booting several times in a row like that could warm the cpu.......but to date have not heard of any related problems.
    its very simple to use.....an in-experience person really can't make mistakes.
    an again as Scotcov said....the .exe is find.

snowman

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Scot and Snowy.Spider is just what I was looking for.The advice I have gotten from my two posts have been very helpful as always!I don't like to guess when I'm installing or upgrading someone else's pc.No guess-work left on this project!Thanks again.

5. yodafan

yodafan Guest

Tester...

There is another program called bear delete that does a similar job. I've tried it and i think it works great so does spider. I've use them both, but sometimes after using spider after a while its not deleting the index file ne more cuz i look at the size and it wasn't as small as it was before(maybe it got corrupted or something). So i then use bear delete and it did its job. Bear delete also deletes cache and cookies and all that other junk. Its in the download area if your looking for it.

YODA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.