Speeds Drop Big Time With HTTP Scanner Enabled IN KAV 2006 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Graystoke, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I just installed KAV 2006 beta, build 6.0.0.251. I noticed that when I have the Scan HTTP Traffic enabled, my browsing speed slows down. When I disable it, my browsing speed picks up again. I tested my speeds at Speakeasy speed test site, and when the Scan HTTP Traffic is enabled my speeds drop to over half of what they are with HTTP disabled.

Has anyone else noticed this problem with the HTTP scanner? Is this a known problem with KAV 2006? If it is, are they working on a fix?

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Yes, it's something that's seen by more people. KAV / KIS 6 is still under development.

You could try to switch the WebAV to streaming scan only, that uses a subset of the full bases to speed up scanning.

BTW are you using the official beta2 or just version 251? If the latter, there's a build 253 allready available. For information / download links, have alook at the Kaspersky forum :)

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have an older beta version of KIS 2006 on my virtual PC. My speed tests are ONE THIRD of what they should be with KIS running. I don't think this is a bug or can be fixed. NOD32 IMON internet scanner ruined my speed also and that is why I left NOD32 a couple of years ago. I won't be buying KIS either for the same reason. I have Bit Defender Pro now which is just as good as KAV and NOD32 and it doesn't mess with my speed.

4. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Just disable the WebAV component and you should be happy!

(And please don't start with that crap about not paying for features I don't use you stated on Broadbandreports...)

5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

If you want to pay for stuff you don't use, I'd say that either you need to think about consulting a mental health expert or that you are a millionaire. :p I don't intend to buy stuff I don't use and I think most folks feel the way I do. I try not to waste my money. I appreciate it when folks warn me about major aspects of applications that don't work as advertised. I guess you don't think folks should be warned.

6. SSK

SSK Registered Member

I guess that's why they offer trial versions to test before buying... :D

And yes, I buy software that has features I don't use. Why? Sometimes the other features make up for it.

IMO KAV/ KIS 6 offers a lot more then ANY other suite out there ;)

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You have no idea at present whether the HTTP scanner in the full version will cause a big slowdown on your computer. This is only a beta and some fine tuning is needed. The beta HTTP scanner in Dr Web at the present time also causes appreciable slowdowns but I am sure that they will work on it.

As regards using all program functions, I never use the email scanner present in any of my AV's but I am not yet a millionaire and my mental health expert still gave me a clean bill of health.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You have to be careful if you measure the speed with something lilke speakeasy. I am using the lastest kav beta 253 and I don't see any speed decrease. If I measure at speakeasy I see a speed of about half of what I am getting. (also tried one other download test, with same result). But if I download a 40mb file from one of the program sites which provides beta's my download speed is right on the mark.

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Well I guess about 99.9% of us need to make an appointment with our mental health providers, because I cannot think of a single software that I use all the features of even though I purchased it knowing I would not use all of the available applications. I am not a millionaire, but I don't think the twinkie mobile is going to haul me off to the enchanted kingdom anytime soon and dress me in one of those fashionable white jackets.

10. Graystoke

SSK....

I'm using v251. Is v253 the official beta 2 version? I will uninstall v251, and install v253 using your suggestions.

Peter2150....

I've never had any problems with any speed tests sites when using any other AV. It must be something to do with the HTTP scan in KAV 2006.

Mele20....

I've used NOD32 set to the max using Blackspear's settings. I never noticed any slow downs. Maybe certain AVs run differently on different computers.

11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

No, 251b is the official beta2, available from the official Kaspersky download page.

253 is a nct (not completely tested) newer build, links in the Kaspersky Beta forum :)

12. Graystoke

Thanks SSK. I just downloaded it from the Kaspersky download page. I got the key also. I will install it later.

13. iwod

iwod Registered Member

ROFL............ Argee.. LOL.......... ( Dont want to say anymore LOL )

14. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Do you know why there are many versions of the latest kav 2006 built like the kav6fs.en.msi or kav6ws.en.msi and the regular kav6.en.msi ?

dja2k

15. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Because they are getting closer to "liftoff", the two you mention are FS = fileserver, WS = Workstation, both for enterprice.:)

16. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

shucks. have to install/ renew my av soon (by tomorrow, 2006.01.11) and i can't go with kav because i am not installing it on my pc but on my colleagues pc and sending it to another colleague. still feel kav6 is too much of a beta to chance installing it there because i dun want to be responsible for it crashing/slowing down the notebook eg. i use some simulation software accessing dat (Metastock) files and somehow it locks the folder where the files are. Dun find any slowdown in surfing though. Still seems nippy to me even though I am testing the latest build2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.