Speeding up Windows 10 AU?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ChrisFerro3, Dec 10, 2016.

1. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

Is there ways of speeding up Windows 10 Home Anniversary Edition, such as the ability to remove built in Windows apps and tweaks that can improve boot time, faster desktop loading and so on.

2. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

If you haven't already, replacing a HDD with a SSD will make a huge difference.

3. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Yep, W10 on SSD is ridiculously fast. Some other little things:

Disabling as much as poss. in Startup tab/Task Manager, monitoring HDD frag via Disk Defrag service, disabling Superfetch via services.msc, uninstalling the vast majority of apps in Start Menu because they're useless and they get updated anyway, running one full session of Automatic Maintenance to completion (very useful) about once every two weeks, checking for slowdowns due to hidden software conflicts via boot to safe mode, running disk cleanup via Administrator (right click), using Task Manager or running PerfMon to check for inordinately high CPU or disk usage which could be contributing to some slowdowns without your knowledge.

**I have fast startup disabled on my i7 SSD machine-- if you're not in a major hurry to log in, I'd ditch it. I disabled it because it was skipping over the motherboard POST, not desirable. Control Panel/Power Options/Choose What the Power Buttons Do/Change Settings that are currently unavailable/Tick or untick Fast Startup option under "Shutdown Settings."

For Automatic Maintenance: Control Panel/Security and Maintenance/Maintenance dropdown/Start maintenance

There must be numerous other tricks, too, but SSD is probably the best.

4. kosamja

kosamja Registered Member

you can try WarpDisk.

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Try this video:
    "Making Windows 10 Run Blazingly Fast with these 9 Simple Tips." by Matt Rizos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V_ZSi9BeEA

6. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Installing SATA driver makes a huge difference, by default AMD does not auto-install, it has to be installed manually. You can check my tweaks (in signature) for some tips.

7. nimd4

nimd4 Registered Member

Just btw., "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise N 2016 LTSB" is the slimmed-down version. There is a lot more work to be done when it comes to updating it and a fair amount of games (& some content) will not run on it; without the media pack(s), which kind of defeats the purpose..:)

Using something like the VLC player and a bunch of other software, for various things, will work though. It will still take 3rd-party software to stop and block ALL of the telemetry and/or a whole lot of gpedit.msc configuring. There are also Services which cannot be controlled by conventional means, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Code:
    en_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_n_x64_dvd_9057894.iso

en_windows_10_enterprise_2016_ltsb_n_x86_dvd_9058202.iso
    Quite possibly, there are now newer releases of those ISOs; I'd gotten it very early (like, years ago)

8. guest

guest Guest

Obviously expecting having a "home experience" (like gaming, watching movies, etc...) on a enterprise-tailored OS is nonsense.

9. TairikuOkami

I was thinking about it, it would be great for gaming, but I really do not want to use a pirated version. I chose Home to have as little junk running as possible, but LTSB sounds really cool.

10. ChrisFerro3

ChrisFerro3 Registered Member

Oh does Windows 10 Home really have less services running?, I have a legit license to run that version on my computer, I also tried Enterprise edition using the evaluation copy it's actually a very good version. I tried creators edition lately but my applications don't work on it, I guess I will have to wait till May, maybe things will be better then lol :).

11. TairikuOkami

If you check the comparison, it is obvious, less services, less background noise and a smaller memory footprint, not to mention less vulnerable as well.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/compare

But MS played a joke on me anyway, I have installed and activated Home on the laptop and the next day Pro booted up, because the laptop contains Pro licence, it has upgraded automatically. :mad:

12. guest

guest Guest

why u dont like Pro?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.