? speed/time to create snapshot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Longboard, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

I am sure this info is available somewhere..

How long does it take to create snapshot
    eg: PIV, 2.66, 1gb ram, 20g on disc, 50g free space ?

--to second partition or to USB 2 external drive

And how long to restore same from snapshot?

Thanks

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

20 GB with NO data anchoring ( much more than is probably typical) I would guess takes in the neighborhood of 1 hour (depending on hardware capability) in either direction if it's only the first time you're saving it. Obviously, we're only talking about archives here.

In case it's not clear, there is no actual "restore" done from snapshots stored on your system drive, only copying one snapshot over another (other than the one you're operating in) or booting to a different snapshot.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

OK thanks

After ist snapshot is made how long for subsquent updates or new snapshots.?

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That depends directly on how much of your data has changed since the last snapshot. I'm not sure how much of my data has typically changed but my snapshot updates seem to take in the range of 40 seconds to 90 seconds or so -- my primary snapshot is currently 8.9 GB in total size (I do no anchoring, I have my data on a separate hard drive) and I am updating snapshots and archives ranging in age from 1 day to 1 month. Usually about 15-20 seconds or so of each update is the "overhead time" of first enumerating all of the directories in the primary and target snapshots, something like 8000 or so directories in my primary.

For me, it's something I hardly ever notice since I have FDISR set not to display progress for scheduled tasks. I do let it's scheduled tasks run at high priority, however, and if the program I'm currently working with has a CPU or I/O intensive task going on, I can notice it bogging down and usually can hear the hard disk thrashing a bit. But, 40-90 seconds of sluggishness once or twice a day is pretty much worth the protection I get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.