Special Circumstance

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by WanderingWOW, Apr 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanderingWOW

WanderingWOW Registered Member

Hi, this is my first post. Was so happy to find this forum!

Ok, here's the situation. I don't need to be Anonymous but I need to have 2 ip addresses using the same connection (cable) but with 2 different computers (one desktop the other a laptop). So... is there any way I can do this with or without shelling out $. Oh yea, I will be surfing like crazy on both computers so the answer to this problem needs to not slow down the connection much.

Whew...hope some of you experts out there can help a newbie like myself. Thx ahead of time for your help!!:)

2. Notok

Notok Registered Member

The easiest way is to get a router.. you can get them inexpensively these days, and they're nearly "plug and play". Your other option is to network the two together and enable Internet Connection Sharing. The downside of ICS is that it's a little more complex, and when you have to reboot the computer connected directly to the internet, the other ones looses internet as well.

3. WanderingWOW

Thx for the reply Notok. I have tried both ways but the ip's are still identicle. I have a router already and have been using it for a long time the problem remains that the ip's are the same and I need to have 2 different ip's.

Here's the config: Cable from wall into cable Modem, Cat5e cable from cable modem to wireless router, wireless router into desktop computer. Laptop uses a netgear pc card to pick up signal, I have also tried hardwiring via another Cat5e cable...same problem. Is there a different config. that would give me two ip's? Anyone...Anyone...Buehler..Buehler...

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  4. Kentish

Kentish Registered Member

I would have thought the only way to have 2 seperate IP,s is to have 2 seperate net accounts with your ISP, and therefore 2 seperate incoming cable setups.

5. WanderingWOW

Thats what I am trying to figure out. There are a number of ip changers out there but they all slow the system down terribly so I am looking to the experts to come to my rescue..lol. Well see.

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Let's just make sure we all understand what you are asking first. You want two different "public" IP addresses, one for each of the PCs you have in your house. So basically, as each PC does things on the Internet, they each are sourced from different, unrelated IP addresses.

ISPs almost always assign only a single IP address per account, whether that IP is dynamic, static, or a dynamic that almost never changes, they still only assign one address at a time. If they do allow for more than one IP address, it almost always comes at an additional cost. So it is very unlikely you'll get a second IP address assigned from your ISP without paying for it, and it might even require additional hardware depending upon how they accomplish providing a second address.

You've touched on a lesser option, that being the use of an external proxy service, whereby you have one of the PCs connect to a proxy server somewhere out on the Internet, and have that relay all that PC's traffic. But, as you've mentioned, that capability comes at the cost of speed. But, as that PC hits sites and services out and about on the web, it will "come from" a second (different) IP address.

I'm afraid without using a proxy service, and if you want the packets from your two PCs to have different public IP addresses right as they leave your house, the only way is to get that service from your ISP.

7. WanderingWOW

Bummer, but not suprising. Appreciate you taking the time to reply. Thx and guess I will look for that 2nd provider.

Blessings!

WOW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.