Spec Obsession Disorder

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Robin A., Apr 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It is not always easy to come up with ideas for articles, so this one is good as any but in the end

3. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

It's a good one! I remember fritting and fretting over what to get, a 486DX-50 or 486DX2/66. God that was a difficult choice to make.

We need to leave a lot of the specmanship behind and focus on the usability of the applications and end-user experience. If the product doesn't do what you want it to do, then no amount of specmanship will make it so.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Nice article and I do agree with the message it's trying to bring forward. However, specs still remain an IMO important (but not necessarily the sole or primary) factor in one's list when choosing which item to purchase. While I do highly value experience and design, these 2 elements are subjective. While figures do not necessarily indicate real-life usage quality, they have a part to play in price comparison objectives.

5. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Haha, yes I remember that... although my dilemma was SX vs DX. Then I looked back a few years later and remarked how little it mattered, meanwhile I was concerned with AMD K6-IIIs vs Intel Pentiums...

6. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

And how little that meant!! Today I just say i5 or i7 (mostly i7) and call it a day. Computing, now, is all about software and not how fast you can run it unless you're doing niche specialty stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.