Speakers & Sound Card Problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Recently I purchased a set of very expensive Logitech Surround Sound Speakers Z-5500 and a Creative X-Fi Extreme Gamer Sound Card. Unfortunately my PC Blue Screened at the very instance I rebooted after installing the Sound Card, and after further investigation it appears that my ATI Radeon HD 4850 Video Card has multiple compatibility issues (Creative Sound Cards being one of them) So I got a refund for the Sound card as they said my Main Board supports 7.1 Sound anyway, but the thing is I can only get the rear and center speakers to kick in If I choose Matrix Surround, which sounds Totally Crap with Music :mad: So is there anyway I can get ALL 5.1 to fire up without having to use Matrix Surround o_O or do I need a Alternate Sound Card? Something like X-Fi Fatality Pro has been sugested o_O

2. krypton_harsh

krypton_harsh Registered Member

specify your motherboard or the onboard sound chip manufacturer

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Windows Vista might be the problem - due to changes in DirectSound and sound processing APIs within Windows Vista, hardware acceleration for DirectSound audio streams is no longer supported - many players rely on this functionality to deliver sound from all the speakers while playing music in stereo formats such as MP3, WMA, Audio CDs, etc.

If you play a 5.1 DVD and still cannot get sound out of all the 5 speakers, then I would say you truly have a problem on your hands. Otherwise, it is just a Vista limitation.

4. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything. Now I can't get my sound to work! Any sugestions? I don't have the software that came with the card!

Twodogs

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

What operating system? Which sound card are you using? Any other info you could supply would be helpful.

6. twodogs44

Ron, Thanks for the reply.

I am running "MS XP Home" and as nearly as I can tell the sound card is a "Biostar Microtech VT8233/A AC'97" Ver. 2.04

I hope this will be of some help.

Dave

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

9. twodogs44

Thanks goes out to Ron and Panagiotis, as I now have my sound doing its job. I had reformatted my PC when I picked a pretty good virus or something nasty. I took about half of my C-drive and it could not be repaired, so I did the big clean and with the help of these guys I got it back on my own. I don't mind paying to have things fixed, but tearing it down and putting it back together is a real pain. As if you didn't already know.
    Anyway Thanks guys~

Dave aka Twodogs

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Sorry for the long delay, been on a Cruise for a few weeks :D Anyway, I bought another Sound card this time Creative Sound Blaster Extreme Audio, but each time I run it with Vista the Computer Loops at startup or Crashes (Blue Screen) Indeed this has to be Vista Orientated as nothing like this with XP :blink:

11. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Did a quick Google using the name of your sound card\BSOD\Vista and found you were not alone. Did you d\l the latest drivers from the Creative site or just use the ones on the included disk? Or are they the same. Some of the quick reading I did seems to indicate there may be an updated Vista version.

Love their hardware :D ......hate their software. :mad:

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running Vista with Realtek High definition audio with Logitech 5.1 surround and the realtek works perfectly. You might check to see if the Raltek HD audio is compatable with your board as it does work very well.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Looks like I cured it:D Updated the BIOS for my MB and installed updated Vista Drivers, no crash so far :ninja:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.