Spaces in passwords, do most sites support it?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheRussian, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheRussian

TheRussian Registered Member

Recently I read an article advising how to choose secure passwords. Generally it was against shorter complex ones and in favor in much longer but easier to remember.
    For example using a sentence. (If someone know what article im talking about please post a link because i can't really find it now).

Their idea is that the space is also a special character and can be used to increase the security but since it can be used naturally in a sentence it's better to remember.

Well, my impression was that most password fields have problems when there is space used.
    Is that true and how often you have stumbled upon a site that can't accept space as a symbol in a password?

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't know. I've never tried using spaces, and I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's not a default in my password generator, and when I have to write down a password I tend to break it into groups (like what MS does for product keys), so having a space within the password would require some extra notation like I do for easily confused characters like l vs. 1.

You'd have to just try them and see what they accept. Although you may want to test them to be sure they were allowed as you typed them and not some other way. For example, a site might ignore the spaces and treat it as one long word.

3. TheRussian

TheRussian Registered Member

seems like there are still a lot of sites that don't accept them or even trim them
    too bad

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You could use a underscore _ or a dash- instead .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.