SP2??

Discussion in 'polls' started by Cochise, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I installed the it network version of sp2 and it seems so far to run flawlessly. so far I like it, it installed with no problems. I installed it with my av running and it recognized my mcafee 7.03.6000. As mentioned in this thread you really need to defrag after sp2 install.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I just got finished converting three systems over. Two are on a Netgear based 802.11a wireless setup. The only way I could get connectivity was to disabled the WEP encryption and go with an open system. It also seems to have problems if I try to use the native Windows network configurator - have to disable that and use the HA311 configuration utility. At least these are the kids systems, and I do have MAC address based access control still on, but sheesh, this is progress?

From a few things I've read in debugging this problem and trying various work arounds (remove/reinstall hardware, driver software, etc.), it seems like this update may be a rocky road for a number of wireless connections.

Blue

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I didn't mention that my linksys wireless never missed a beat, all was recognized.

4. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

Further to my post 42 on this thread and Alec's reply suggested another defrag, I checked this and yes the SP2 install had caused a substantial amount of fragmentation - 33% I'd defragged before the upgrade and was very surpised to to see this occur. Anyway, a defrag has brought the startup time back down closer to what it was before SP2. I've had worse fragmentations and never seen such a slowdown.

It all seems to be running quite sweet now.

@BlueZannetti,
    I'm running Netgear 802.11b wireless and it has been working absolutley fine with 128 bit encryption on. I'm still using the Netgear proprietary wireless driver rather than the XP one - I've read the XP one can cause problems with Netgear wireless adapter.

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I have a bit of a note into Netgear. Not sure what they'd do. The drivers haven't been updated since basically the product release a couple of years ago and the product itself is obsolete. I really dont want to run open, maybe its time for an upgrade, but I'll see what Netgear comes up with first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.