SP2 compatible w/Norton Speed Disk & GoBack?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Stro, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stro

Stro Registered Member

Is there a compatibility issue between SP2 and the Norton Speed Disk defrag software or Norton GoBack software? Running Speed Disk after SP2 was installed has killed my PC.

My home PC was loaded with Windows XP Home SP1 and Norton SystemWorks 2004. I successfully installed SP2 on the PC from a CD I received from Microsoft in September. I did not turn-off GoBack during this installation so that I could revert my hard drive back to a prior state if the SP2 installation went wrong.

After the successful SP2 installation, I kicked-off the Speed Disk defrag program. When I came back to the PC later, the screen was frozen (optimization was 48% completed) and the hard drive was ticking as if trapped in a loop. I pressed the Close button and was presented with a message that the gobackio.bin file (the compressed file in which GoBack keeps the system image) was corrupt and needed to be repaired. I pressed OK to start the repair. The screen went black.

The operating system will not start now, nor does the GoBack interface screen appear (this screen normally appears before the OS boots up as you probably know). The PC is totally dead. I have run Speed Disk many times in the past under SP1 without incident. The first time running it under SP2, however, has killed the PC.

I would appreciate any insight you can offer.

Regards,
    Stro

2. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Never rely on GoBack for critical backup. In this case, you've just discovered that GoBack is worthless. You need to image the operating system (partition C) during ANY major upgrade. The image file will allow you to restore the PC to the time when you created the file. I would recommend Bootit ng.

Reseat all boards, connectors, and RAM modules if the PC is TOTALLY DEAD (no activity). Also reset the CMOS by removing the nickel sized battery on the motherboard for 2 hours. See if you can boot to safe mode and remove GoBack and SystemWorks.

You should be able to reload windows if the powersupply, CD ROM, RAMs, and MB are functional.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.