SP2 and Norton Internet Security 2003

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by mVPstar, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mVPstar

mVPstar Registered Member

Hello, I'm planning to upgrade to Windows XP and then install SP2. I currently have Windows 2000 Professional and I am running Norton AntiVirus 2003 and Norton Personal Firewall 2003. I was wondering when I install XP and then install SP2, will I encounter any problems with my Norton programs? In understand that SP2 turns on Windows Firewall by default but will it somehow detect that I already have a firewall and not turn it on? Also, I have not tested compatibility with XP so I was wondering whether anyone else has had any problems/issues regarding using NPF 2003 and NAV 2003 on a Windows XP machine.

Thanks! :)
    -mVPstar

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The antivirus I use is on the microsoft list as not working with sp2 and it works just fine.

4. meandor

meandor Registered Member

This is for MVPstar,
    I'm running Norton's 2003 AV and Firewall and I just downloaded SP2.
    You're right SP2 by default turns on the XP firewall. I didn't notice any
    difference other than the XP new Security Centre informed me it detected another FW.
    It worries about three items Firewall, Antivirus, and Auto download.

One of the first things I did was turn off the XP Firewall. In the XP Security Centre I optioned I have a 3rd party FW and AV, the XP Security Centre won't monitor those functions anymore.
    Having both on did not cause any problems, but following Norton's advice they recommend not having two fire walls operating so I turned the internal FW off.
    I've optioned the Auto Update feature to notify when there's an update, but I select if I want it down loaded and if I want it installed.

So in summary SP2 did not cause problems with any of my Norton products. I run Norton System Works 2003, and Norton Personal Firewall 2003.
    SP2 did cause problems with a couple of other programs, it took me a few days to sort out some of the issues but all is OK now. I hope that helps.

Mel a.k.a. meandor

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.