SP2 Add/Remove Programs Prob

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigbuck, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Too Easy!!
    Cheers.

2. Thanks for the fix!

3. bigbuck

Cheers.

4. trailblazer

trailblazer Registered Member

Hey, thanks a lot. I, too had the biggest gap in the world, and I had Autocad loaded. Just deleted the comma. I don't usually mess with the registry ... I'm an amateur. But it worked fine. :)

5. bigbuck

Good to see! Copy and save the fix for any mates with Autocad!
    Cheers,
    Buck.

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

about the hotfixes and sp2 missing in the add/remove list...
    there's a check box right at the top... see it?

7. bigbuck

It was nothing to do with the hotfixes showing or not......it was a huge gap of several blank pages right where Autocad should have been.

8. no13

From YOUR first post in the thread.
    so... got anything to say??

9. bigbuck

You win! :D ........but the blank space was there regardless of whether the updates were showing or not....

10. Ernest-100

Ernest-100 Guest

Thanks for the solution to my problem. Just to let you know the problem also applies to AutoCAD 2000

11. bigbuck

Cheers.

12. no13

I just thought since your blank spaces problem is being handled, why not solve your other problem simultaneously?
    parallel processing is so much better!
    :D Cheers ;)

13. TrBot

TrBot Registered Member

What I did was after I install SP2, I delete all the folders for SP2 (including the blue text ones) and then go to Add remove programs and remove XP altogether.
    Still works fine, firewall and updates both still turned on.

14. Smeggy

Smeggy Guest

Cheers dude..... Autocad 2k2 c removal did the job .....great job

15. no13

huh?
    removed XP?
    explain.

16. Ulla

Ulla Guest

Question to all of you who got rid of the huge blank space when you removed the comma:

Did just the blank space disappear or did you also get an AutoCad entry in the add/remove programs list so you are now able to remove the program?

And was it just the comma you deleted so the text now is D:\\Program Files\\AutoCAD 2002\\acad.exe-1?

I have never messed with the registry and am terrified to do something stupid...

Thanks for any answers

Ulla

17. bigbuck

Yep! Just a comma only, and Autocad is back in the ARP list in place of where the big blank space was.

18. bigbuck

Here's a screenie...

Attached Files:

19. Ulla

Ulla Guest

Thank you!

However, after some more surfing around on the net I decided to change -1 to 1 instead, which also seemed to be a way to solve the problem. And it worked! And I am happy!

Ulla

20. SaudiMax

SaudiMax Guest

Exelent It worked for me too.

I have searched the net and eaven microsoft website to solve this problem with no luck but not any more.

It is a strange problem and what makes it so strange is that with all microsoft windows update and fixes they did not include this yet up to now !!!!!!

any way my problem is solved thanks to you :) and no thanks for microsoft. :(

21. bigbuck

Cheers.

22. I wasn't going to chime in because I thought maybe you'd heard enough "me too"s. However, this is an impressive fix as "I too" have been looking for a solution to this problem off and on for over 6mos.
    Solving this problem is like getting a bad tooth pulled! Thanks to all responsible for this fix and may good fortune follow you for your good deeds!

Lynn Livingston

23. bigbuck

Cheers Lynn....took me a month of solid googling to find it! ;)

24. FedUpWithMS

FedUpWithMS Guest

Well, it seems that I too have a problem with a gap in the Add/Remove programs list. However, the problems is not solvable by removing a comma from the AutoCAd entry - There is no AutoCad installed.

I did some experimentation. I was able to identify a registry entry under HKLM...Uninstall. It consisted of two keys, DisplayName and UninstallString.
    If I deleted the key, the problem went away. If I added it back in, with both of the subkeys, any value for DisplayName, and any value for UninstallString (including leaving it blank), the problem returned. Now get this - If I renamed the key, the problem would not exist (and the DisplayName entry wouold appear in the Add/Remove Programs list). Depending on what the key was renamed to, sometimes it would cause a problem, sometimes it would not.

The existence of this problem might be related to the total number of entries in the Add/Remove Programs list. This problem happened to be on the last entry under the HKLM...Uninstall keys, which was about the 75th one.

Of course, renaming it is not a solution, because if the uninstall process were run, it would not be able to remove the key (since it was renamed).

I suspect this is a problem in some MS code that is part of the Add/Remove Programs applet.

Has anyone found the REAL fix to the problem yet?

25. bigbuck

Check the entries either side of the blank space. Is there an app that should be there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.