Sound Problem

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have you run 'alsamixer' (without quotes) in the terminal ? If so is anything muted (MM) ?

2. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I gave up.
    Had this problem for years and I still can't solve it.

The only article that I found dealing in detail with this issue is this one :
    http://www.halfgaar.net/surround-sound-in-linux

Even if I finally make it to work, it would be a constant battle with various apps and who knows what else.
    To quote Tony Montana from the movie Scarface : "I don't need that sh*t in my life !" :cool:

IMO, for desktop users, Linux is light years behind Windows , and it will always be.

3. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Pabarte, sorry to hear that it didnt work for you but it works here for many. I can relate to your frustation as I and many get with Windows but that don't make Windows any worse or Linux any better than each other, its a matter of choice and what works for one. I am not a fan of surround, nature gave me two ears and I intend to hear with them two. However I have to setup Linux in many of my friend's PCs and as well as my younger nephews and neices, in those cases, I had to make sure multi monitor and 5.1 and above worked, in all the instances, I never ran into any issues period. They were not in VM but actual installs.

4. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

You really don't have to respond to each and every instance of "Linux is crap" ;)

People who try with the LiveCD/USB, Wubi, VM and expect 100%, shouldn't. Then there's a bunch of people who only turn to Linux for their dino PCs.

5. pabrate

I didn't said it's a "crap" , and of course I install distros in real system.
    I did several distros two weeks ago (I do that once a year or longer just to see how they are doing), for me OpenSUSE was on top of them all.
    But, sound problems prevented me from using it, I just can't have OS without surround sound, it's an old habit.
    This new (to me) guide, suggested from linuxforall I had to try , but my external drive is not available right now and I didn't wanna mess with partitions just to try that solution, so that was the only reason for VM.

I just said that Linux for desktop users is behind windows in every way, and if you don't like that fact , that's your choice. I don't have a problem with that.
    For web servers ... sure, it's free and multimedia is not needed, works great :)

btw there's a good wikipedia article titled : Comparison of Windows and Linux

I think this fact is telling enough :
    Estimated desktop usage share :
    Windows : 92.90%
    Linux : 1.07%

I can't find a good reason for people around the world choosing to buy OS instead of using the free one.
    Must be a conspiracy or something.

6. linuxforall

If you have issues with Linux desktop thats your problem alone, not those who are extremely satisfied with Linux in their desktop. The fact you haven't even tried the method on a proper install and condemn it beforehand shows your commitment toward Linux in general. Linux is here and Android is the proof, so is the popularity of Ubuntu on desktops. Linux is just web serverso_O? how bout them supercomps, 97% of em run Linux :D

7. pabrate

It's not just because of the sound problems, but if I can't solve that one I can't continue solving the other problems (makes no sense since I need the 5.1 sound to work), and there are plenty of them.

If you are extremely satisfied with Linux desktop ... great, that's awesome.

FYI , I'm in IT world for more than 20 years, and of course I've played with Linux all that time.
    If you have very old PC and you're satisfied with just browsing the web and reading emails , than of course Linux is good for you.

Whatever, I mean ... I'm not going to discuss in this topic anymore, think what you want and use what you want, it's a free world :)

8. linuxforall

I am ex IBM research head and have taught IT at univs across the globe. The fact that rendering machines use Linux, hollywood movies are made on Linux has no bearing here with you, you just relegate it to use for browsing with old PCs. How about DTP, audio editing, video editing, Blender and 3D rendering, world class movie editing software. Obviously your perception of Linux is quite limited, its waste of time even engaging with you.

Btw, since x64 version of Windows, my sound card doesn't work at all, maybe I should condemn Windows as a toy OS fit for playing in the nursery. :D

9. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Of course, what the majority do and like rocks!
    Like in India ... the majority use Windows, pirated, of course. And no serious attempt is made to curb piracy. All part of the conspiracy.

BTW, did you ask for a solution at the forum of the specific distro?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/
    or
    askubuntu.com
    Could you provide a link if you did?

10. linuxforall

Yep and we all know what majority stands for........SHEEPLE...exactly what the world needs to make $$$$.

11. linuxforall

And the other conspiracy........most virus writers for Windows use LINUX :D :D

12. cet

cet Registered Member

I started this topic to solve the sound problem.But it has changed direction.I had more problems in Windows than in Linux.One of the reasons why I love Linux is that I am learning new things everyday and improving myself.I am a happy Ubuntu user since the day Ubuntu 10.04 was released.People here in this Linux forum are very helpful.I installed Ubuntu on my younger daughters Toshiba Laptop and she has never logged in to windows since then.
    I want to thank all who has helped me with my PC problems.:)

13. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

Attached Files:

14. linuxforall

Cet, have you tried the reinstall procedure I listed?

15. cet

cet Registered Member

No I haven't.
    Can someone please who is using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS copy and paste the gnome login sound startup item which starts like this:/usr/bin/canberra-......... I had tried to change that before maybe I wrote it wrong.

16. linuxforall

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play --id="desktop-login" --description="GNOME Login"

17. cet

cet Registered Member

Thank you now all the sounds are working.The start-up sound is working too.

18. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

so how its solved in case i have a same problem :D

19. cet

cet Registered Member

So the solution to my problem was easy.After trying many complicated things I installed the pulse audio device chooser and found out that the sound was at 1% made it 99% and the problem was solved.But although I checked the main sound applet and the gnome alsa mixer sound values (they were at maximum) I never thought of installing padev.BUT the mystery still remains I do not know what happened last week and the pulse audio level went to 1%,because it was working before.Lol:D

And while trying to make the sound work I think I made a mistake and changed the value of the gnome login sound startup item.Copied from Linuxforall and working now.
    I hope this helps other ppl who have the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.