Sony Vaio Laptop.....Good Deal or Not?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controler

controler Guest

I have always though HP provides a good machine for the cost.

controler

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

I can fully suport your opinion. I have my second one and my first on - a PCG-K23 - which i bought 3 1/2 years ago is still running like hell without any problems.

3. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    How about their TV, the Sony Bravia TFT LCD TVo_O:D

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Personally speaking, I don't think Sony products are any more unreliable than other big-name manufacturers. This year I've purchased a Sony Bravia LCD TV, a Sony RDR-HXD870 recorder and a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ21E laptop. Hopefully I'll not need to eat humble pie. :D

Regards

Menorcaman

5. dNor

dNor Registered Member

Having worked with numerous Dell laptops in my business I can provide some more first hand experience to this thread.

Having to purchase, configure, administrate, repair, and call support on for about ~100 Dell laptops, my conclusion has come to this: they tend to have a lot of issues, but the issues are easily handled.

All the parts I've needed have been readily available and cheap - that is for the few that weren't still covered by the warranties. Which leads to support. Dell's support is pretty mediocre, especially if you're an IT professional. You have to work your way up a few levels of technicians until someone understands you. Once there, the support is usually from okay to great. This doesn't pertain if you purchase their Gold support at an additional cost. It directs you instantly to high level techs in America. Having to pay a premium for this is a little put offish though.

With hundreds of hardware issues over the laptops, all the way down to total motherboard replacements, nothing's been anything that wasn't easily handled, even after having some patience and getting to their support. This pertains to my experience with Inspiron, Latitude, and Vostro notebooks.

Also, keep in mind that 90% of my business's laptop users work in the field, so their laptops receive much more wear and tear than the norm, so the high amount of work I've done to them is pretty much to be expected.

All in all, I'd definiately recommend a Dell laptop. If support is important to you, look in to getting a one year longer warranty with Accidental Damage Coverage and Gold support. You'll pay for it, but you'll be glad you did if you ever need support. If it's not much of an importance, their usual support (while sometimes frusturating) is adequate.

As to the OP: I don't have nearly as much experience with Sony's, but the experiences I have had have not been so great compared to Dell. I'll refrain from further comments, as my experience isn't a ton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.