Sony Rootkit Part 2

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by berng, Nov 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berng

berng Registered Member

Previously on the Will Eset add detection for Sony's "rootkit"? thread, which was closed by Ronjour, we talked about the software supplied by Sony to uninstall their rootkit.

Quote:
    “Originally Posted by Joliet Jake
    First4Internet, the company that wrote the software that Sony uses said they would supply all anti-virus companies with code that would enable them to detect it.”

My Quote:
    “With the way they implemented this, I wouldn't trust anything they gave out.”

Now, unfortunately, it seems I may have been correct. The latest is that the uninstall leads to greater security risks.

From Brian Krebs Blog
    "Alex Halderman and I have confirmed that Sony’s Web-based XCP uninstallation utility exposes users to serious security risk. Under at least some circumstances, running Sony’s Web-based uninstaller opens a huge security hole on your computer. We have a working demonstration exploit. ... In the meantime, we recommend strongly against downloading or running Sony’s Web-based XCP uninstaller."
    http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/multiple_securi.html

That's why I think its best that independent third parties, like ESET, take care of these type of security issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.