Sony PlayStation 4 officially announced

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Wild Hunter, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I don't think I'm buying any more consoles for the foreseeable future, but I am interested in using the controller on the PC if someone writes a driver for it.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Good idea, same here.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The last console i owned was a Super Nintendo clone. :D
    That was like 15 years ago. Good memories.
    My only problem are the prices of the games . . . $60 - $70 per game when they are new and i never finish any of the games i get.

5. Wild Hunter

I agree, the prices are high. I rarely finish a game and think it was worth the money. A recent exception, however, was Dishonored for PS3. After finishing the game, I think it was worth all the money = lots of fun. Of course, to finish such complex games (especially in harder difficulty modes), one needs patience and some amount of free time.

As for the PS4, I don't know if I'll buy it when it gets released. The games will be the main factor in my decision.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

never sony for me ever again after all the stuff they have been pulling of late. i refuse to buy any sony products, they are just out to control every industry they are involved with. who do you think had cinavia conceived among many other similar things. i agree with the issue of piracy but when they prevent me from making a copy of my own personally owned blu ray / dvd retail copies is total bs. when you have little kids they destroy discs if not watched all the time with them. just one of the many reasons why i would never buy sony again.

7. Wild Hunter

For little kids, it is better to buy the download instead of the optical media IMO.

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

then you never truly own it and never know when you may or may not be able to re-download it. also then you need to spend the money on the extra storage for it. discs are still cheap and i have thousands of them.... not for me. if i pay for it i will own the media.

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

One thing i really found weird is that Sony pumped the PS4 hype but they NEVER EVER showed an image or at least a render of the real console . . . Vapourware.

10. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Yes it is weird and stupid on their part IMO. A prototype PS4 model would have been nice. I already have a PS3 and I think it will be my last video game console. I wasn't particularly impressed with the presentation of the PS4.

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Polygon.com

12. Noob

Noob Registered Member

They should have updated the consoles a couple years ago . . .
    I hope they don't take another 7 years to update the PS4.

13. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Theverge.com

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

IMO they can't really update the consoles too often either, since they cost similar to a mid-range notebook. Plus that the games costs quite a bit too.

Personally I both like and dislike consoles. The reason why I like consoles is that you don't have to worry about if the games will run on the hardware or not. Plus it's so much nicer playing GTA (Grand Theft Auto) on a TV than on the PC. But games like Half-Life wich is another of my favo game series is best played on a computer with a keyboard. :)

15. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Now that i think of it, they let the consoles run for a long time to maximize profits but man, technology moves on so fast nowadays. :rolleyes:

16. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I'm not sure if they'll ever get back to 5-year cycles again. I think there were several reasons why the current consoles lasted so long:

1. The economy tanked, which made it difficult to justify releasing new hardware for a few years.
    2. Graphical returns are diminishing, with advancements coming in the form of smaller and smaller details. The vast majority of gamers even seem to be satisfied with 30fps.
    3. For the first time, they were able to extensively add features and applications via system updates. I think this helped to keep them fresher.
    4. The introduction of motion control hardware midway through the life cycle also revitalized them to some extent.
    5. Since they started out more expensive, it took longer to get them down to "budget" pricing. In past generations, they were down to $150 within 3 years or so.
    6. They were able to add more built-in storage over time, adding value for later buyers.

17. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Perfect timing, my son wants a PS3. :)

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So you will get him a PS3 or a PS4? :argh:

19. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

HeHe, a PS3 of course if the price is right. Though I am temped to go with the PS4 for me. :D

He has been misbehaving of late and may have to settle the the PS2 we currently have.

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

They threw away Linux OS support, so it's usefulness is limited outside of gaming. I'll stick with my gaming laptop.

21. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts.

22. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

And the world (should have) yawned. Really, consoles are pretty much over. It sounds more to me like they're more interested in being a media player for their service than they are a gaming option. The same can be said for XBox, it's past its gaming console days and now MS wants it to be nothing more than a part of their services that they can charge for. The only thing consoles will always be good for has already been mentioned, you're not nearly forced to upgrade your PC components every 6 months to a year or to buy a new PC altogether. We're not getting the Nintendo/Sega days back, we just aren't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.