Sony P800 Synch and Firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rheumatoid, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rheumatoid

rheumatoid Registered Member

I have had to dump McAfee V Scan and Firewall and apparently Zone alarm is also cited in creating synchronisation problems.

I have moved to NOD32 for Virus protection and have temporarily enabled XP's firewall (what is wrong with this?).

I am looking for another firewall (unles XP's is ok- it puts my PC in stealth).

I am interested in a free one such as Kierio or Sygate but am concerned they may also mess up synchronisation.

Does anyone have any views / experiences with this?

Thanks.

R.

2. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I'm not sure what your are trying to sync here, but XP is ok to use for inbound protection, if that is all your looking for. However it doesn't prevent any outbound connections, or prevent applications from using the internet.

I use Kerio 2x, and its a strict rule based firewall. I currently perfer it as its configuration can be highly complex, or extremely loose without going to multiple screens. It also doesn't have any useless bloated GUI wasting memory. Its a good firewall, but its learning curve is high if you can't create a secure ruleset on your own. Its free, but requires quite a bit of patience or knowledge to configure correctly. If you would like to try it out check out this link for help, but go through the FAQ's first as they answer many basic questions. http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/kerio

I have not used any of the new SyGate releases, but I'm interesting to hear if SyGate can handle strict rule based configurations like Kerio without too much hassle myself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.