Sometimes I'm "Stealthed" - Sometimes I'm "Closed"

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Shamshi Adad, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Shamshi Adad

Shamshi Adad Registered Member

I have 2 Win10 Pro x64 Laptops and a VZW Windows Phone 10 (Lumia Icon running WP10 Tech Preview)

Due to my rural location there's no option for cable or DSL and satellite is to costly so my sole source of internet is the Mobile Hotspot on my VZW phone. It works GREAT and I can afford 20gigs a month which suits my needs.

Ok - 99% of the time I use Gibson's SHIELDS UP site for testing. The strange thing is that sometimes I can get totally Stealthed ports results (sometimes for the whole day). But then some days I get a small scattering of ports that are Closed.

On the days when I get a few Closed ports, retesting throughout that day will show formerly Closed ports now Stealthed and OTHER ports now Closed.

QUESTION is: Is VZW responsible for the varying results or is the Mobile Hot Spot on my phone that provides the variability.

Thanks. Peace. Alan

2. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Don't know what VZW is, but that probably doesn't matter.
    So long as you see Closed or Stealthed it's ok and normal. And I'd think the variability makes sense.
    I'd be concerned if ports stay Open beyond the time that they have to for whatever activity is taking place.

3. Shamshi Adad

Thanks act8192. VZW is Verizon Wireless. I know the debate about Stealth vs. Closed, but I decided long ago that I still prefer Stealth, though I hear you on Closed being ok. But I'd still like to know - my best theory is that the phone's Mobile Hot Spot is a Router of sorts and IT is the reason for all the erratic results. But YOU may be right with your idea.

Anyway, I'm retired and I like having a reason to 'raise the hood' and diagnose once in a while.

Thanks again for the reply.

Peace. Alan

4. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

If it's an Android Phone, see if you can install a fabulous monitor OSMonitor which will show you live connections, and a NoRoot firewall for blocking what you want blocked. Both available on google's play store.
    I don't have a setup like yours, don't use a phone as a hotspot, but those 2 applications work really well on my non-verizon phone. I enjoyed learning some stuff by watching OS Monitor.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eolwral.osmonitor&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=app.greyshirts.firewall&hl=en

5. Shamshi Adad

THANKS for that info act8192 ! I have a Windows Phone running the WP 10 Tech Preview. I'll look at your 2 app recommendations and see if the Windows App Store has anything comparable.
    Thanks again.

Peace. Alan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.