Something bad, really bad, went down...

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by Philz, Sep 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Philz

Philz Registered Member

Today i decided to reinstall windows, i do this often on a whim, no real reason LOL. ANYWAYS, this time i decided to just make a new partition JUST for windows, so i grab a ubuntu live CD and resize the partition with windows and all the files I NEED, leaving about 3 gbs of space on that and a new partion with 10gb for just windows. Said it completed, only to find in the screen that my main partition is now "unknown". Being the person i am i grab my powerbook and find disk director suite, load it up on a spare PC and burn a CD with the recovery thing.

It Simply says there isn't anything to recover, at all. This is bad...

It does say, partition None ( C: ) Flags: pri, act Cap: 111.8gb free: (just blank, nothing) Type: FS: None Partition: 0x7 (NTFS, HPFS)

So i guess its there? I know for a fact that i didn't erase the old partition in ubuntu and just resized it (and there was plenty of free space). And also from experience i doubt it erased the whole partition as it took all but 20 secs to complete.

Also i noticed if i edit the partition, almost everything in that screen is either 0's or 0h's or for the name ?'s.

After this experience i definetly will be getting the disk suite, once everything is up and running, never will i again use linux live CD's. But is there any ways someone can help me get this all resolved tonight o_O I have a decently busy week and cant afford to be without my desktop. This is just driving me nuts as i'm and extremely technical guy, but have NEVER had problems with HD's like this and am just drawing complete blanks on what to do!!!

Thanks a zillion,
    Philz Macedo

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

:'(

I'm more of a systems guy but pretty techi guy. Suggest you read this and then take a walk arond the block, hard to think when you are panicing.

If you have your original software product disks and you have your data backed up you should be able to recover. If not take your data to another machine/rented lap top to stay afloat this week>

Download a utilty called PC Beginners if is real powerful all DOS code it can clean a whole disk and possibly recover your windows OS system. Here is their read me file:

Good luck! Valuable lesson, if it anint broke leave it alone!

PC Beginner Utilities Suite 2006
    ====================================================================

How to use this CD?

1. Some utilities can run only on a PC already running Windows.

(You can see them here under Windows Explorer)

2. Other utilities can run only after PC boots from this CD.

(You can not see them anywhere although you can run them from the
    boot menu. After running a utility, you may need to reboot from
    this CD to run other utilities)

3. Please browse the "Help" folder first.

4. This CD already has enough support documents.

For more support: www.PCbeginner.org
    For order: www.PCbeginner.com

------------------------------

DISCLAIMER
    PCBEGINNER.COM DO NOT MAKE ANY GUARANTEES AS TO THE CONTENT OF THE
    SOFTWARE, THE MANNER IN WHICH IT IS USED OR ITS SUITABILITY FOR ANY
    SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS. FURTHERMORE, THE ORIGINATOR IS NOT LIABLE FOR
    ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE, DIRECT, INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGE OR
    LOSS OF PROFIT IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE.

PC Beginner © 2004-2006
    http://www.PCbeginner.com
    All rights reserved.

3. Escalader

let me know what happens? you must have a machine to see this posting

4. Philz

Philz Registered Member

Don't follow what you said :D . I built the PC so of course i have all the stuff to make it go vroom. But are you saying i'm stuck reformating completly or cant this bootable disk somehow recover it?

5. IMM

IMM Spyware Fighter

6. Escalader

Hi:

PC for beginers is a misnomer, it isn't since it assumes a level of knowledge.

I used it to bring back my cleaning ladies PC from the dead. A virus had killed whole machine, using the utility and my windows upgrade OS CD I recovered 99% of the computer and reformatted it wiping out all viruses.

It will work for you as well, I hope.

More later when you start on the problem, there very well may be other utilities but I know this one works,

Escalader

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.