Some XP advice please

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by marcusa, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcusa

marcusa Registered Member

Hi

My lap top has 48 directories of XP update uninstall directories including service pack 2

As this is loads of files and a significant drain on the small 9 Gb hd is it safe to remover these things and free up much needed space or am i stuck with them

2. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello marcusa,

As this is loads of files and a significant drain on the small 9 Gb hd is it safe to remover these things and free up much needed space or am i stuck with them

As long as you're talking about these files: $NtUninstall.... in the WINDOWS folder, yes. Simply delete them, then reboot, that will get rid of the Add/Remove hot fix entries. XP does sometimes clean up after itself :)

Regards - Charles

3. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Just to be safe, I would delete only those $NtUninstall folders with a "Date Modified" prior to your SP2 install. Those updates will be part of SP2.

Nick

4. zcv

zcv Registered Member

They can be burned out, including the Service Pack uninstall - makes no sense to keep a 366 MB file around unless you use.

Any reload of these files will reverse the process - meaning if the SP2 uninstall file is reloaded, it becomes functional again, including the Add/Remove entry.

Regards - Charles

5. marcusa

marcusa Registered Member

Thank you all

I burned them all to CD and then cleaned up, the 9 Gb drive isnt often a pain but just MS sometimes makes it awkward

Thank you once again

:)

6. iwod

iwod Registered Member

7. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello iwod,

Why?

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.