Some they giveth some they taketh away

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

To all,

The nominal subject is "debating the pros and cons of the latest Ubuntu release, 9.10 Karmic Koala, including performance, stability, audio & video, graphics, and boot times", not rants on supposed hidden agendas.

As for
    • I read the article. If you think that's worship, you simply have no concept of the definition of the word. Get a dictionary.
    • As for an agenda, hidden or otherwise, I guess I'm blind

Blue

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I got one right here for you.

From WordNet
    worship
    worship
    n 1: the activity of worshipping
    2: a feeling of profound love and admiration [syn: {adoration}]
    [also: {worshipping}, {worshipped}]

as in 007 James Bond, shaken, not stirred. ;)

As I see. it fits the bill perfectly, of course, to be selectively blind is entirely your prerogative.

Subjective opinions about alleged stability or instability based purely on one off personal scenario ignoring the general consensus, rating an OS based on names it choses for its particular programs.

Suggest you read through the thread, the reviews etc. with two open eyes this time. Don't worry, we all fall to the fallacy of playing favorites once we are put on a ecclesiastical pedestal. Sometimes though its good to come down from it once in a while.

Now back to Moneypenny :D

3. BlueZannetti

You see it, I don't.

You have an opinion, others have different opinions. That doesn't mean those with differing opinions have any sort of agenda.
    I don't play OS wars. They're more boring than compiler and language wars were in the distant past and a lot less productive as well.

Blue

4. linuxforall

I fully agree with you but then if I have a platform claiming to be that of a reviewer, I need to have some personal responsibility to be fair and non partisan and not have any favorites.

I am not for any war, just victory for desktop Linux, currently I see Ubuntu's contribution to be quite positive in that direction. If we deter a new to Linux person by subjective reviews launched from a populist platform, then we are doing entire Linux a huge disfavor.

Anyways I have said my peace. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do so. I have absolutely nothing personal on this, just my reflection.

5. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Just as much as it's your prerogative to see agendas and conspiracies everywhere when nobody else does.

6. linuxforall

If those two words had no meaning, they wouldn't be in the dictionary. Of course Pearl Harbor was a conspiracy and agenda too to some till it came hitting hard.

Just as the topmost ranked distro is rated poor by one in a consistent derogatory fashion has no bearing indeed ;)

7. la_di_da_n

la_di_da_n Registered Member

If anything, you talked me OUT of ever using Unbuntu, because of your offensive 'personal agenda' attitude.
    We're not children, we can make up our own minds, without your sarcasm.

Ubuntu is not linux for all...it's only your opinion.

These kind of threads are soooo uselessly boring, they are never helpful at all.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  8. linuxforall

Good for you, won't really make even the slightest dent on Ubuntu's share or ranking.

Its an OS thread and not E! channel so of course, it can't be interesting.

I don't care about Ubuntu as such, my wish is for Linux to spread and if Ubuntu currently does it and does it well, more power to it and its detractors can go to hell for all I care. When another distro comes around and does that equal to or better than Ubuntu, even more power to it.

9. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Still enough bearing for the fanboyist crackpots to come out, guns all blazing, with charges of conspiracies and agendas, apparently. Who later then try to show off how supposedly unperturbed they are. ;)

10. linuxforall

http://www.techradar.com/news/softw...ngest-chance-to-take-linux-mainstream--486274

Interview with Samba's Jeremy Allison

LXF: Do you think Novell will carry on?

JA: You're going to have to ask them about that. I run Ubuntu these days, and I'm a big fan. They have the strongest chance to take Linux mainstream, so I'm trying to help them do that.

LXF: The nice thing about Ubuntu is that it's done what the Linux Standards Base should have done and implemented a specification where you can rely on certain things in the filesystem always being in the same place, which must be pretty nice for a developer to work with.

Of course another delusional Linux developer who has absolutely no substance unlike James Bond 007. ;)

11. BlueZannetti

A couple of off-topic posts removed.

Folks - stay on topic and respectful, or thread closed. Your choice.

Blue

12. linuxforall

But then it can't substitute some serious sycophancy, can it now :D Where is ***** Galore? 007 is waiting.

Sometimes guns are needed to wake up others from slumber and in this case, it was quite apt, now the guns have rested. Point proved.

13. Eice

Eice Registered Member

For the last few months, this sub-forum was a better place when a poster "voluntarily" left after an "agreement" with the mods. But I guess it wasn't meant to last, and now it looks like we'll need to start getting used to regular doses of childish, immature tirades once more.

Oh well.

14. linuxforall

This forum needs an objective opinion and counter opinion, not just bunch of yaysyers, in that case its no longer a forum.

So just because the post doesn't fit someone's frame of an appropriate means that the poster should voluntarily leave after an agreement whith the mods? Don't see the logic there?

I do remember a certain someone months back claiming to be alleged Ubuntu user spreading gracious amount of FUD against Ubuntu and Linux in general. Each and every post about Linux was polluted by this so called forum member who still is busy posting, no one removed or banned him, he didn't even ask for voluntary agreement with the mods. Now we see that same person acting holier than thou.

Ironically no one has any viable response to post number 35 where a Linux dev talks about Ubuntu and why he uses that. That dev is not an insignificant one at that, he develops Samba, if anyone cared to read that link, they would see the objective view on what makes Ubuntu and why it stays on top of the heap, 007 and Aston Martin aside.
    As I said, its about spread of desktop linux, if Ubuntu is doing that job well, we need to encourage rather than invent fictitious issues and post it on a so called blog just because one can. When a better distro comes along and reaches the top, we encourage that then.

So in the end lets talk about Samba's Jeremy Allison's interview and what can be done to make desktop linux more popular and instead of cursing Ubuntu, lets see why and what makes it tick so that other better distros can come with even more stability and features.

15. Eice

Eice Registered Member

And I suppose you see yourself, with your petty tirades and personal insults, as just exactly the person to provide that objective counter-opinion. For some reason, I can't say I'm surprised. Being in touch with reality has never been your strongest of points.

The fact is that the rationale behind your petulance boils down to nothing more than blatant fanboyism. A fanatical desire to see Linux (or, actually, just Ubuntu) suceed means nobody is allowed to point out Ubuntu's shortcomings, lest the one be accused by the self-crowned holier-than-thou Supreme Global Moderator - who of course commands the absolute highest moral ground - of conspiracies, agendas, and playing favorites.

Newsflash: Ubuntu isn't the best distro, just the most popular one. Deal with it. I'll save myself the trouble of pointing out the obvious logical fallacy of trying to advocate - of all things - Linux by how popular it is. Hopefully even someone like you can realize how ridiculous such an argument is. "When another distro comes around and does that equal to or better than Ubuntu, even more power to it," you say? Regardless of your militant refusal to accept reality in order to defend Ubuntu, the truth is that those distros are already around. If Linux ever does succeed, it will be despite the efforts of people like you.

Judging from your attempts to kiss Blue's ass this time, I see you've at least learned something since the last time the mods decided to clear the garbage around here by "inviting" you to leave. Though unfortunately not enough to save you from being stuck in your pathetic delusions of grandeur and self-importance. But still, I suppose it's the mods' prerogative to allow you to skulk back here while cowering behind another moniker, and we'll just have to get used to the pollution you introduce, I guess.

EDIT: Actually, on second thought, I'll save myself the trouble. Back on my ignore list you go.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  16. linuxforall

Throw all the FUD at Ubuntu, its rise to popularity has been due to its inherent strenghts, plain and simple.

Are you on hallucinogens or crack? Exactly who do you think you are relating me with may I ask. LOL! Did someone traumatize you that bad that every time you get opposed, you think about that person and no one else. Cowering behind another moniker, now why would anyone do that? Whatever you are insinuating you better back it up this time. When it comes to spreading lies and nonsense, you are par excellence.

I am not kissing no one's ass and last time I checked, I was never asked to leave as I have just joined. You surely gotta be smoking some serious peyote to get visions like that.

Ubuntu is here to stay and rule till another distro excels it and more power to that, after all its Linux's victory and acceptance.

Pathetic delusions of grandeur and self importance?? I am not the one writing a blog about a James Bond 007 distro. LOL! neither am I fawning obsequiousness for solidarity.

About ignore list, well I don't think you are even good for any list period except for good bilge. ;)

So far you haven't posted a single objective counter point as to why Ubuntu is bad or whats the reason for its wide spread acceptance by general Linux using public, ex Windows users or even stalwarts like Jeremy Allison, the Samba developer. All you are doing is going on a personal apple polishing quest here.

Now lets get back to the topic if we may.

17. BlueZannetti

To all,

Let's adhere to some simple ground rules:
    • When the discussion starts to focus on a member or specific person..., stop.., you're walking down the wrong path.
    • It is our policy not to comment on the status of specific members. That stated, the status of all contributors in this thread is accurately reflected in their respective profiles. One should not infer otherwise.
    Let's return to the primary topic.

I'm somewhat surprised that the functional arc represented by Apple OS-X > Microsoft Windows > Various Linux flavors has received virtually no comment since I tend to view that as at the heart of much of the underlying discussion here. I've have used and continue to use all three ecosystems.

One of the virtues of Apple and OS-X is that it exists in a rather homogeneous hardware base. The complexities is getting software to communicate with hardware is comparatively straightforward in this situation. Options are limited. As a consequence, problems and conflicts are drawn from a rather limited palette. As a corollary, look at many of the issues that can emerge when one installs OS-X on an unsupported platform - a netbook for example (a so-called Hackintosh). This can be done, but it's not a ride in the park in many cases, while some instances go relatively easy.

The situation is a lot more complicated for both MS Windows and Linux. However, add-on hardware vendors have a strong commercial incentive to cultivate the MS Windows based market. This is where the primary market resides. If you think about where the primary operational deficiencies reside of Linux tends to appear, it is typically in contexts which involve heterogeneous hardware options (video, audio, communications, etc.).

Blue

18. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

linuxforall has a right to his own opinion and to express it. And I agree with a lot of his expressed statements. Mrk is a nice guy and I like him a great deal for all the valuable info and reviews he puts forth (I tried Scientific Linux 5.4 yesterday...finally got my Broadcom bcm4312 wireless going...had loads of problems...still sorting them out), but, IMO, he is biased and it does show through. I label it in my own mind as the usual cross distro rivalry that's so prevalent. Nothing wrong with that really and I expect it but it does tend to wear a bit thin after a while. Ubuntu is a great distro and has brought a lot of attention from the general public to the linux world...which is good. No distro had been able to do that prior to Ubuntu. Mrk has trouble with Ubuntu once in a while...I don't. Mrk loves Suse...I have a lot of trouble with it. Mrk's opinion carries a lot of weight. Another strong opinion to counter that is sometimes needed to balance the scales.

And, sorry, Blue, I've never used Apple OS-X before (except for an Apple 2E way back when).

Later...

19. linuxforall

Thank you Trespasser,

The Linux world is incomprehensible to me sometimes, for years desktop Linux lay in the dungeons of nerds with plenty of time on their hands and to even merely suggest Linux to a Windows users would bring instant negativism. Here comes one distro which helped by the generous big coffers of its founder makes a real conscientious effort to bring Linux desktop into mainstream and does so successfully. What does he or that distro get in return for its success, pull downs and rotten eggs from the other distro who are now clearly showing their green (pun intended) side in full glow. Instead of supporting and even emulating the success model and coming out with their own distro, their fanboys just go on a tirade against it. Bear in mind, if we are to combine the number of Ubuntu+Mint which is Ubuntu based, then the stats are even more staggering.

I do a volunteer service in my neighborhood where I train local youths to deploy desktop Linux to senior citizens, one who can't afford a costly OS or anti virus needed with it. Its because of Ubuntu I can do so with ease. They have deployed it on variety of PCs from old to new and nowhere has Ubuntu stumbled greatly. Sadly this isn't the case with other distros on offer and therefore the ranking indicates so.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I am another one who has found Ubuntu to consistently be the best distro overall. This after using it off and on for several years. Most of the others I've used, and I have tried most over a period of several years, have needed tweaking in varying degrees and have also exhibited bugs and issues. Ubuntu on the other hand, for me at least, has always been the most bug free and overall best out of the box experience. I will also say that Mint perhaps does it one better out of the box, but both are very close. The keyword here for me is consistency. That it has been for some time now and on three or four machines at home.

21. linuxforall

Very rightly put, the keyword to become popular is not being the fastest or greatest or having 007 attributes but being consistent and Ubuntu achieves that to a great extent.

22. linuxforall

Ironically everyone strangely ignores sidux which is truly cutting edge based on Debian sid and very well executed as well. So if anyone wants the fastest distro out there with stability and ease of use, take a look into sidux.

23. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm not sure why Mrk is accused of being biased. Read the reviews, especially the conclusions if you want to cut the reading time, and you'll see in his latest on PCLOS, Crunch Bang, and Mint, he has some particularly glowing comments on them. Maybe openSUSE simply works the best for him, just as Mint has worked best for me, and others have similar experience with other distros. He backs up both his positive and negative comments in all his reviews on all distros he reviews. It's also apparent he puts tremendous time and effort in his reviews, based on the considerable written details, and many screenshots he provides. The reviews seem completely honest to me.

Maybe no one here has tried Sidux yet?

24. linuxforall

Time to give sidux a spin and be pleasantly surprised.

25. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I have to say I have always considered the reviews at dedoimedo accurate, honest and of high quality. I also have to agree with Mrks` findings with recent Ubuntu releases. Maybe I`m blind too :rolleyes:

Recently I switched to Mint and I love it. :cool:
    I was hoping Lucid was going to restore my faith in Ubuntu, but it will have to be pretty good to drag me away from Mint now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.