Some test ;)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MagisDing, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

"Help please" with what? The program when running in a sandbox with default settings freezes the mouse, and you need to shut down the computer with a restart by turning the computer off and on. On reboot the computer is as it was before. What do you do when it rains, since the car windshield wipers are turned off by default?

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Mouse freezing is not a big problem but Explorer is killed that is a clear cut bypass.

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

User initiated is the biggest bypass as is the norm.

These tests were deliberately tailored to bypass all security apps through obscure methods and it probably won't be the last of em.

The best way to stop these types of things is to not to let them run at all which Sandboxie does better than any other app through it's run/access control settings.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

This will get patched up soon. At least those who are running returnil or shadow defender, in the event of a freeze or crash, everything in the session is removed upon reboot.

5. HungJuri

HungJuri Registered Member

That is true, other than this test who has come across this in the wild? There was a changing of the wallpaper thing once if I read it right that everyone made such a fuss over that the dev finally had to block that. Now "Set as Background" doesn't work and my wife wont use the sandboxie anmore. And the image was IN THE SANDBOX, but they still were not happy.

6. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:)
    General query re bypass of sandboxie or not; and there does seem to be some problem.
    Reboot fixes problem = good.
    Just need to tweak a bit.
    Agree; for me, sandboxie can be so important , that any issue immediately gets taken apart and explanations are very helpful.
    Now: What's a windshield wiper ?

7. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Be good to see how Malware Defender goes.

Would ThreatFire and Mamutu be silent during this test?

8. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi,

Tested against OA AV+ latest beta (one day old)

htaaa - after execution i had this message box :

htaaa.jpg o_O

htaab - OA intercepted explorer modification

htaab1.jpg

htaac - i like this one as he tried first to kill my AV (Twister) then tried to kill explorer. Of course OA notified me for each step that i allowed :eek:

htaac1.jpg

htaac2.jpg

Explorer is killed then he tried again to kill my AV but again Twister survived his attack

I'm posting stop results in another post as i cannot upload more than 5 files per post

9. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Time to play with stop & stop2

stop - OA intercepted it

stop.jpg

Red notification and user is able to kill process

stop 2 - OA intercepted it too and this one is interesting too as he try to tamper process with an active window after successfully modifying explorer

stop2.jpg

Both attacks are intercepted by OA but i could not screenshot the second attack as the target was paint.NET
    After last attack, systray and paint.net was unresponsive

Regards,

MaB

10. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi ssj100,

Blocking explorer modification stops "malware" action

MaB

11. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

I ran them one after one.
    stop.exe could be terminated from the first notification (blocking input) and blocking stop2.exe from modifying explorer.exe leaves him loaded in memory but no more active.

MaB

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The solution to this is to keep such filters/ interceptions as optional so any one can enable if he/ she wants.

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

Here it tried to attack (subsequently) explorer.exe, taskmgr, far and dbgview. None was affected. Though, I always run the latest beta build (which is 3.5.0.11 at the moment). Can't say about .9 (which is official release). Strange thing, I can't make htaaa.exe to work, it always shows error box and terminates (tried on Vista and XP SP3).

Can anybody explain what does this message mean ?

Attached Files:

• 1.gif
      1.gif
      File size:
      7 KB
      Views:
  14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Guys,

Thx for testing OA. I find it incredible how OA always keeps standing on its feet, while it is such an easy program to use. The competition can throw in every mean availble (ultimately becomes a very good program also), but OA is an example of a well designed application. No copycat can beat that (at the moment :D )

Regards Kees

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

OA is wonderfull. Reminds me of ProSecurity. OA beats most of tests and POCs while Comodo laggs behind and fixes stuff after it is discovered and sometimes even long after it is not fixed. :doubt:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

@MaB69

Thanks for tests with OA.

Which version of OA you have used BTW?

Thanks

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have posted it on GesWall forums and i will hope them to be fixed, though it will take time due to their slow release cycle now.

18. MaB69

MaB69 Registered Member

Hi aigle,

You are welcome

I used beta 10 (first beta build after release)

@ssj100 : I do not think that this build (10) was patched against this POC

Regards,

MaB

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wish if Mike can confirm it.

@MaB69

Can you try this test againt OA?

http://www.pc-st.com/us/download.htm

Install, then go to Proof Mode> Test2: Various Actions

Thanks

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      133.4 KB
      Views:
  20. TheEndX

TheEndX Registered Member

After testing htaa*.exe in Sandboxie, I think it is important to note that explorer.exe is not killed when htaac.exe is run. Only the taskbar disappears/disabled.

21. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

OA's beta .11 contains some HIPS enhancements, so I believe that OA .10 wasn't patched against that POC ;)

And the PC Security Test is not reliable, it gives random results (or at least, it used to give random results).
    I've done the tests 4 times with the same pc and the same configuration, but results were always different.
    It's also owned by AxBx, the same company that owns VirusKeeper: http://www.viruskeeper.com/us/index.htm. I'm not sure you can trust it ;)

22. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

A bit crazy test without good explanation of what does it do. Though, one of tests I liked. It grabbed my mouse and it started to jump over the screen. This needs to be prevented :)

23. Leolas

Leolas Registered Member

really? :D I'll try it again, then.
    edit: the version I tested was different.. weird :/

24. arran

arran Registered Member

A goods HIPS program should allready block it to start with, I personally don't consider a program to be a good HIPS if the Vender has to patch their product after finding out about this. Because this indicates that there would be many other security holes in the HIPS porduct.

Also can some one please pm me a link for this test, ??

25. arran

arran Registered Member

I agree that hackers can find security holes in individual products if they really wanted to. Unless it was specifically made to bypass a "Certain List" of products or a "single product" which I don't think it was, it is more likely that is was made to bypass all security products. What I am saying is that a Good security product with few security holes would be able to block it straight away without having to add patches later on.

Regarding the start run access in sandboxie, which prevents it from running in the first place, well most HIPS has the ability to prevent unknown executables from running anyway. the main purpose of this test like many other tests is being able to "control its behavior" after it has been given permission to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.