Some questions about Rollback RX

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ben442, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Raza

Very understandable.

Not necessarily as business users will normally have key software like this accpetance tested by their IT department, against a given setup of apps or template that the user will use and may not be allowed to tinker with/add to, etc., before it is rolled out to them. At least that what happens in my company. Hence, if a configuration interaction issue it will most probably be thrown out or correct before the masses get their hands on it.

True, and I believe that this is why HDS may be poor at present in terms of supporting a user group that they have not really recognised in the past. This is MY supposition based on what I have read on the HDS web site BUT, importantly, for us I believe that this is chaning based on what I see happening over at the HDS forum.

Hopefully that trend will continue. ;)

Yup...it may be that...but that does not help Vista users like you, of course.

OK, so you are the first x32 user that I have come across with the issue. It would be good to let HDS know this via the forum.

And so do many other manufacturers of software but they too have bugs with their Vista-certified software...it is unfortunately the nature of the beast (where there is software there will be bugs as there is no such things as 100% bug free software). But on the otherhand this is a critical bug...for which they already have a fix that is being tested by those who are able to do so.

Hopefully, there will be good news shortly as a result of that testing. ;)

2. MrWeary

MrWeary Registered Member

Ok Ok .. Yes .. I Am A Little Pissy ..

I Just Find a Program that’s supposed to "protect your data"
    Should do exactly that "protect your data" Not Destroy it.

Just bugs me to no end .. that they seem to put out a "new ver 9.0"
    Charge for it .. Have users like us .."test / be ginne pigs"
    and then wait for problems.

Why should we have to pay .. then spend hours an hours for our own time.
    Testing and reporting bugs! for free! Anyway just really pisses me off ..

I am more worried for users that are not "computer geeks"
    like us .. then myself and you.

Rollback v8.1 corruptions (V9?) ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
    carfal Today 10:08 AM
    by carfal 36 Views: 432

432 Views .. and how many people are posting any thing good or bad?
    And As Far as not seeing the problems on the forms ..
    I would think a very very few even know what a form is .. let alone
    post something.

Also .. If this was not happing to others .. that are not using posts?
    Would they have put out a new ver so fast ?

Anyway .. I am very very glad .. we the few that care do post!
    I am watching the other form .. and others.

As i said .. I am very interested in getting a stable ver. I love the idea.
    and need a program that does what this one is supposed to do.

I have clients and family and like myself that screw up their computers
    all the time.. and guess who has to fix them .. me! So .. i am very interested LOL

I too .. am using Vista 32 .. Btw!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  3. Baldrick

Hi Mr Weary

Not at all...IMHO! You are saying it as you see it and I do agree basically with everything you said, expecially about less knowlegable users, etc., which is why a strong forum (or forums are) is good.

So that those that can 'teach' do and those that cannot (now) may one day be able to do so...if so inclined...for the betterment of all. ;)

(and BTW I don't think that i figure in those that can teach!)

OK, that is No. 2 that I have heard of. Would be useful if you could post that over at the HDS forum as it is now looking like it was a Vista specific issue...and I know there are a couple of posters testing the new build under Vista x32, with positive results...although it is way to early to rejoice just yet.

Cheers

Balders :D

4. 842x5

842x5 Registered Member

definitely not... I am using XP SP3 x86 and have suffered the mysterious corruption issue as well, although with EAZ-FIX both 8.1 and 9.x.
    These corruptions appear to happen with heavily changed files. I have isloated a Firefox xml config file that exhibits garbage in the middle. The garbage starts exactly at a 4kB boundary - i.e. the cluster size of NTFS - and is a multiple of 4kB long. Maybe coincidence, but I doubt it. The perfidious changes typically surface only after some time when i.e. FF refuses to restart after an update... I have compared each and every file of the current system with a previous sector-by-sector backup image (DriveSnapshot) and found the mysterious changes in a couple of recently changed files, always with the garbage starting at a cluster boundary. Bad sectors come to mind immediatley, but I can guarantee that the disk has not developed bad sectors. This behaviour ends when I uninstall EAZ-FIX aka Rollback RX.
    Similar to other posters´ coments I use Avast PRO with EAZ-FIX. So it might be highly benefitial if the developers investigate in this direction.

5. MrWeary

Please Post this at:
    http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rollback-rx/172-rollback-v8-1-corruptions-v9-4.html

6. Baldrick

Hi Mr Weary

Are you using v9 or v8.1?

Also, there is now a specific Critical Update Build Issues/Bugs thread to hopefully collect all related issues in one place and which I believe will be monitored regularly by the moderators & Dev Team.

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rol...e-build-2694078476-issues-potential-bugs.html

If what you are asking to post is a v9 issue with the PRE Critical Update then you are correct and it should go in the thread you have highlighted but if not then it should go in this new thread. Would you advise/confirm?

Thanks, I await your response! :D

BTW - would be happy to post for you but I believe that you posting as you would have more impact. ;)

7. MrWeary

I was using V9.0..

( Never had this problem with 8.1 )
    However stoped using it because of system slow downs during boot.
    and random weird problems :/

With ..
    Windows Vista 32 Home Prem
    Avast Av
    Acronis*True*Image
    I Have 3 HD's And A Usb Backup HD
    C:\ Is Sata - Partitioned ( Came that way with the computer )

Now I Am Using eaz-Fix 9.0 as a test.

I Have Turned Off Auto defraging in the program.
    and have not defraged any of the snapshots. ( This Time )

And Sofar no Problems.

8. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

[/I]}
    {OT rant /ON"limited in fucntion" ??

Well, I started using GoBack on windows 98, when the program was originating from those funny WildFire's [Kiwi?] folks - I should even have archived some of their 1.x gem versions, lying now on some old CDs somewhere around. And it was so much a truely amazing and easy-to-use product back then that I almost put it in the same tech breaking class than FD-ISR, for that time (about ten years ago).

But Goback degraded & bloated so much and so fast with every new releases after every ownership's transfert to new companies, almost unbelievable how they could acheive that. I stopped using it while Roxio begin their bad hobing job on GB, and before symantec acquired it :)o). And I think it is a real SHAME to have let a product like this one going for the down flushing road so low and dangerous to use like it is reported to be now.

And Goback has never let me down then, the only annoyance was to lose your GoBack's history points when performing a drive defrag. And some of its feature were never implemented in any other software that I know of now, I am sure that the old Goback's users from then will understand what I mean...

We will probably never know the first Wilfire coders' real point of view on this counter-acomplishment, unfortunately, but I would be curious to read from those talented guys somewhere if it was possible...

This story almost reminds me of what was fellowing that strange partnership between Leapfrog and Horizon on the FD-ISR, main difference for now is that Todd is always near there to take care of us license owners and, by doing so, his original product is always working beautifully, for now!

{OT rant \OFF}

--
    EDIT - spelling errors

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Hi...
    can you clarify how the found bug only applies to version 9 ,when over the years, many users of v 8.1 have also the problem with chkdsk?.Does 8.1 not have module 3 too? (Be able to close the pagefile virtualization when system shuts down)
    tia
    ellison

10. MrWeary

No This Bug .. wipes out / corrupts your data :/
    And In My Case And Others That’s Exactly What it did .. It Destroyed My Data, Documents , My Outlook PST File and
    Could Have Made My System Totally Un-useable!

11. ellison64

As a user that also had to reinstall my w2000 pro OS a long time ago ,i remember on the Horizon forums (they were different to what they are now if memory serves) that many users mentioned that Rollback rx some how corrupted files which then had the effect of windows running chkdsk,which then resulted in more corruption and usually re installation of the OS.Also if i remember correctly ,Horizon datasys denied that rollback rx was to blame.So i m now finding it curious that a problem has been found and apparently fixed with version 9 ,regarding chkdsk and possible file corruption.Is the module affected in version 9 not in version 8.1?. O f course if it was present in 8.1 im sure many users would be quite unhappy about it.
    ellison

12. Baldrick

I am just advising as to what HDS have advised...it is a v9 problem...that is all. I have not asked them to explain why. If you would like to then perhaps you should post the specific question over at their forum. ;)

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/rollback-rx/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  13. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

The same bug is present in v8.1 but HDS does not want to correct or update an old release. They want you to switch to v9.

Even if they wanted to there is no way for them to just update certain files in v8.1, they will have to release a whole new version. Since v9 is essentially v8.1 with bug fixes and drive clone stripped out, so fixing the bugs in v8.1 is effectively turning it into the new v9. Obviously, users of v8.1 will get it for free, so they will not shift to v9. Huge revenue loss for HDS.

14. ellison64

I might just do that .I was a member there a few years back ,though ill have to try and dig out my username and password.The forums were very different then though and many more posts :) ,although not as professional as they are now.
    ellison

15. ellison64

Its what i suspect too.I dont use it any more but hope that it HAS finally been fixed.Time will tell.
    ellison

16. Baldrick

Hi ellison

Please do visit and contribute if you feel so inclined. The more the merrier and the more benefit to all.

I do not know the forum of old as I am a relatively new RB Rx user (ex-GoBack user fed up with Symantec) but all I can say is that I sense a great willingness from HDS to try to make this work and in fact since I have been posting I have noticed that HDS personnel are more present, monitor more and also refer issues to the Tech Team.

It is early days yet IMHO but the signs look good for the forum being a useful asset going forward.

Hope to see you over there. :D

17. Baldrick

Whilst I am not disputing you I would still say that is a matter of conjecture (but then again I may not have been a user when it was a hot topic). I certainly did not experience it at all. :doubt:

Understandable from some perspectives.

Don't think that this is quite correct as despite the split of the imaging function to create Drive Cloner Rx, I believe that there are some new fucntionalities in the new version...not major but still a number. See the following from the HDS web site:

from http://www.horizondatasys.com/177440.ihtml

People can check it out and decide for themselves. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.